HybridZ

Difficulty level of changing the header

Hey guys i'm somewhat new to the forum, so hello! Also what would y'all say the difficulty level of changing the stock header to say a MSA 6-1 would be on a L28? I'm a 20 year old college kid who has a little background with working on cars (I recently changed the 2 piston fronts to 4 pistons myself) and an ample amount of tools. Here's a picture of my Z btw.

post-47859-0-81471300-1451817768_thumb.jpg

It's not a pain in the ass. It's normal automotive work. Get a copy of the FSM, spray the nits and bolts with penetrant a few time before the day you do the work, set aside a few hours, gather all the tools, and be careful.

• 2 weeks later...

Make sure you get a new gasket.. Make sure your exhaust system can bolt up to your headers.. 

It can open up a can of worms if things don't mate.. may give you an excuse to do full exhaust.. While your at it, you can consider stripping down some of the unnecessary emissions stuff etc.

When i had my headers off, I masked everything up and painted the engine block.. It came out looking great!! Just something you can do while your at it.

Edited by Hypertek

Depends on how rusty the studs are. If they all cooperate, a couple hours. If a couple breaks it could be a little more irritating.

If you want to be prepared, get a couple extra studs and a left hand drill bit set or easy out and a drill. 

If your car is really lowered the header will be your lowest point on the car. I paid a muffler shop $100 to bring the collector up so that the exhaust tucks into the trans tunnel.

Edited by seattlejester