HybridZ

1973 240z 280ZX Alternator Mystery Plugs

Dat73z

Hi all, 

Hoping someone can shed some light on this: 

I am doing a 280zx alternator (non-turbo) swap into my late 1973 240z and am planning to use the conversion plug with a diode + rewire the factory fuel pump wiring to operate off of an oil pressure switch (late car, had the electric pump in the back). 

I purchased a remanufactured 280zx alternator and there are 2 connections I am unsure of: 

1) The single blue wire and connector coming from the alternator (No idea on this one)

2) A condenser plugged into the chassis harness (What is this for? Should I keep and bolt to ground somewhere?)

Anyone have any ideas on #'s 1 and 2 in the attached photo? Otherwise seems like a fairly straightforward upgrade. 

Thanks! 

post-50006-0-33448400-1451934853_thumb.jpg

Should have taken pictures before you  installed it.  Did a piece of paper come with it, in the box, with information on it?  The blue wire is probably the P terminal, not used for most applications.  The rebuilders just put the extra stuff on to reduce SKU's.

The condenser is just for electrical noise.  Probably shown in the 240Z wiring  diagrams.  You should keep it.  It was probably attached to the back of the alternator.

Thanks NewZed, 

There was some generic warranty info with the alternator but nothing really useful from what I recall. 

Good to know that plug may be unused on my application, I may just tape it off and hide it if that is the case- will cross check after work. 

I'll double check my service manual to see what purpose that condenser serves. 

Took a break from this project for a couple of months so it's a bit of a learning curve to get back into it. Should've taken more pictures! 

Edit: 

Interesting, just checked and it looks like it could be the 6v P-"Phase" terminal

The alternator is "generic" and used for a lot of applications. The ZX Turbo happened to use the same alternator sometimes, but did not use that terminal as it was also "generic" in that car. P stands for "Phase" and the terminal is an auxiliary pickup point for partial alternator output, single phase - approx. 6V, to drive some tachs and other accessories. It's basically the same as a bridge tap on transformers. If you want to go hogwild with 6V, I am sure you can figure out some use for it, otherwise just leave it be.

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/7063-280z-alternator-p-terminal/

Learn something new every day. 

Edited by Dat73z