HybridZ

S30 semi-racing seats for big butt people

DeathByNissan55

Sweet! Lookin good. I really appreciate the writeup. You think 6'2" is still too tall for someone to drive it without solid mounting the seats?

It would be tight.  Also depends on torso length as much as anything, maybe OK if you have long legs?  I'd like to mount to the floor, but that'll be some work.  ;^)

It would be tight. Also depends on torso length as much as anything, maybe OK if you have long legs? I'd like to mount to the floor, but that'll be some work. ;^)

OK, I might need to check because I'm on a slim budget to wrap up my restomod 280z project. Do you happen to know the measurement from the seat to the roof so that I could compare it to my upper body length? I really appreciate all the info.

If it makes it any easier for people to find seats, I believe the seats I'm talking about are called "Touring Seats".

Also I'm planning on running 5 or 6 point harness.

So far the R100 is looking the most promising provided those brackets are done like Savage mentioned.

I'd love to just use stock S2000 seats.  Why can't you use harnesses with them?  The picture makes it look like they'll work?

post-28213-0-36612300-1453315384_thumb.jpg

I think on the schroth page it said it was one of the seats not recommended. That and the fact I saw a screen there, which apparently isn't a problem lol.

Prepost edit:

The link you got the picture from

http://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/783842-harness-with-our-stock-seats/

Seems they don't like it either, although they don't list a reason.

Just an FYI a 5 point is really uncomfortable. If the crotch strap comes into play for any reason (hard breaking) it can get real uncomfortable. A 6 point is better as it more or less holds your inseam, but at that point you really are strapped in, very very little mobility. I'm replacing my 5 point with a 4 point schroth antisub setup. Might be worth looking into.

I

Just an FYI a 5 point is really uncomfortable. If the crotch strap comes into play for any reason (hard breaking) it can get real uncomfortable. A 6 point is better as it more or less holds your inseam, but at that point you really are strapped in, very very little mobility. I'm replacing my 5 point with a 4 point schroth antisub setup. Might be worth looking into.

I totally agree with all of this. 

I had a car with 6-points and once you were in, you couldn't move much.  Though, there wasn't and discomfort under hard braking.

5-points try to crush your nuts.

I've been in a friend's car(amusingly the same car I had 5/6 points in) with those Schroth anti-sub 4-points and it was surprisingly comfortable.  Whenever I get to changing the seats and adding harnesses to my car it's what I'll go with.

I think on the schroth page it said it was one of the seats not recommended. That and the fact I saw a screen there, which apparently isn't a problem lol.

@Seattlejester, Which model are you talking about with the anti sub belts?  I dont know why but I'm having a lot of trouble navigating their site.

Link for the 4 point anti sub setup or for 6 pt.

The serious belts are under the competition header.

https://www.schrothracing.com/competition

This site might be easier to navigate and to visualize all the differences on one page.

http://soloracer.com/schroth.html

I have two sets of the Rallye 3 in my daily, and I have two sets of the Profi II ASM waiting to go in my datsun. The datsun has 5 point crow harnesses at the moment.

In the daily I retained the stock belts so I only throw the harnesses on when I decide I'm going to be silly. In the datsun I never engage the 5th point of the crow harness, really uncomfortable and I don't have it correctly mounted (5th point should be anchored behind the waste line) so it doesn't do much. I usually roll around with the lap belt, I have run the 4 point during an autocross and the retention is real nice.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok emergency,

The guy doing the body work and cage on my 280z said I have to get a seat this week or else he's gonna push it outside (my car has no paint on it and its not exactly dry weather right now).

Please help, anyone in southern Wisconsin or northern Illinois that have bigger seats or are bigger people.

I also need people to tell me, specifically related to late model 280z, what are the best reference points to measure from?

I imagine the hump on the driver side of the trans tunnel, up until the edge of floor pan (or in my case, the angled side impact crash bar which sits inside the edge of the floor pan.

Lastly, is it safe to cut out the seat mounts off the floor pans and mount seats directly to the floor?  or will that weaken chassis?  Keep in mind I have an 8 point roll cage, new frame rails are being welded in, and I'm triangulating the engine bay from strut towers to near the hood latch area of firewall, tie bars between both sets of strut towers.

Let me know asap, if I dont go bucket, or foam custom fit, or combo of both, i'm prolly gonna get a Sparco R100 but not sure yet.  Looking to stay under 500$/seat after tax and shipping to 53221, and looking for ones that have seat heaters as an option (obviously doesn't apply to buckets)

You are probably going to need to flip the hump on the 280z. Reference point will be where it feels comfortable. For maximum height you are going to want to mount the seat further back, depending on where the cage goes the main hoop will be the limiting factor as the seat will most likely hit the hoop.

If you are worried about the width, plus you are a bigger guy, plus a cage means no more street use, I would put the side impact bars further out so it occupies where the door was and gut the door. 

You can cut the seat mounts out, but you really should have a welded in bracket system of some sort, Even with backing plates the floor is 20 gauge, I think it would tear rather easily.

During this time figure out the belt mounting points. You may be able to use the inboard factory bolt hole, but the main hoop is going to make the outboard hole difficult to access. If you are indeed going 5 or 6 point, the mounting points are going to be under the seat I think behind the centerline of your body (find reference photos/instructions) for them to be effective. 

Going back to do this work is a real pain in the butt. Find out where/what you will be racing and find their requirements for mounting the seats/belts/cage. If you need more time, throw in some kitty litter in a big pan and throw a car cover over it while you are researching and go replace the kitty litter as needed.

• 1 month later...

Good news kinda, found a deal on these seats and are much more affordable than fancy touring seats:

https://www.kirkeyracing.com/product/10/20900/SEAT-ALUMINUM-21-ECONOMY-20-LAYBACK-BIG-BOY

Found a guy local that is a distributor that can get me this for 180$ shipped and another 80 for seat cover/padding shipped.

Not adjustable or heated, but it supports a 6pt harness and certified and its the biggest one I could find.

Once my guy confirms he can fit it, I'm going to buy it and I'll let you know how I fit in it.

Probably going to flip the trans tunnel hump around, hopefully not going to interfere with new driveshaft for LS swap.

• 2 months later...

Seattlejester, do you have Rallye 3 or 4? I got a set of Rallye 3 but the tail is wrap around... and I want to know if I will good if I switch it to a single bolt in at the stock seatbelt location or if I should do 2 in the hatch

Kind of unrelated, but I had a rallye 3 in my daily. It was a bolt in type so I bolted it to the rear seat. I would honestly make a harness bar and wrap it as getting the correct angle with the stock belt is going to be impossible.

I think I have profi II's in my 240z, they wrap around the harness bar that bolts into the three bolt holes behind the seats. They came with the bolt in buckle, but I removed those as I like the wrap around more.

To keep this on track, I got a set of sparco R100's installed and I've gained even more weight since before so I'm hovering around 240lbs at 5'9 and they fit me pretty well. 

@evan: I got a 3 point harness like the Rallye 3 in the stock location with a Cobra RSR. Due to the angle of the shoulder belts it rubs on my neck on the inner side of the car. Its just a little uncomfortable with a tshirt. I will mount it straight behind the seats in the future.