HybridZ

Concept Stealth Tail Lights

jacky4566

Looking to get some feedback on this concept. Was just tinkering with tail light ideas trying to create something unique and mean looking.

Certainly not DOT approved but you can get away with murder where I am. 

In the day I would be black mesh and lit up from behind at night. Idea kinda comes from the Challenger tail.

post-49729-0-05747700-1452746861_thumb.jpg

the rear tail lights of a 240z are timeless.  A very identifiable part of the design of the car.  Why would you want to change that?  Now I get updating the lighting systems as I have done that but not change the whole rear panel of the car.  It is just not my thing. So no I can't give you any positive feedback.

I agree with texis300. The lights on the rear of the Z are great. And if I'm honest, even if the lights on the back of the Z did need work, that is a bad attempt and is pretty ugly.  Your car obviously but it looks like a huge grill on the front of a car and doesnt work well in the rear. 

I have gotten tons of feedback from the Datsun Facebook parts group. Just looking to be a little unique with my car. I keep hearing "Stock" and "Dont touch perfection" but that's really boring. You go to any car show and its the unique cars or the 200K+ perfect restorations that get the attention.

Eh. Its just a random beer thought I would share with the community. Probably wont act on it but If anything I would make these lights removable so as not to wreck the stockers. No need to ruin those for this idea. Its only money in the end.

the rear tail lights of a 240z are timeless.  A very identifiable part of the design of the car.  Why would you want to change that?  Now I get updating the lighting systems as I have done that but not change the whole rear panel of the car.  It is just not my thing. So no I can't give you any positive feedback.

I'm not saying that I like the design, but this IS hybridz, so that's probably why he would want to mess with the tail lights.

As for my opinion, it's an interesting idea, but would probably look better on a heavily modified car, though the bottom left looks like a buick or a grandma monte carlo

• 5 weeks later...

Like this?  Just finished fabricating these for my '71.  Diffused light bar using LED strips attached to cut and heat molded pieces of poly cutting board (from Walmart - based on my investigation it looked like the surface texture would diffuse light licely).  About three weeks worth of design, trial and error here.

post-4776-0-66593400-1455570611_thumb.jpg

post-4776-0-62080000-1455570649_thumb.jpg

post-4776-0-61722100-1455570661_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

OP:

I have seen older corvette and new mustang tail lights work well with s30s, I see no reason why you wouldn't be able to come up with something amazing. Of the ones you posted, I like the bottom left the best.

Helghast is right. I jumped from my old Golf to an s130 more than a decade ago, and the difference in the communities is very strange. The younger generation of people interested in Datsuns seem to be of a higher caliber mod/knowledge-wise than the VW community, but the older generation of folks interested in Datsuns seem to poop on anything that isn't rebuilding the s30 to its glory days.

Do your thing, man. Don't be discouraged. HBZ is different. If you want overjudgemental posts, look for that ish in that other forum so many of us migrated from.

I agree with texis300. The lights on the rear of the Z are great. And if I'm honest, even if the lights on the back of the Z did need work, that is a bad attempt and is pretty ugly.  Your car obviously but it looks like a huge grill on the front of a car and doesnt work well in the rear. 

I really couldn't agree more with these two. I don't know if I've ever seen a tail light swap that actually looks good.

You go to any car show and its the unique cars or the 200K+ perfect restorations that get the attention.

Not just unique, but well executed. There's plenty of "unique" cars out there that would be better off scrapped. Execution is paramount, and your idea just doesn't fit in with the design of the S30 at all. Sorry.

Litman's taillights are well executed. If you want to do something different with your tail lights, I would suggest taking the basic design elements of the original tail lights and modernizing them.

Edited by rturbo 930

• 2 weeks later...

BOM was rather simple: cutting board, LED strips from SuperBriteLEDs, disassembled tail and front lights, soldering equipment, heat gun, adhesives plus some other secret ingredients covered under my filing.  Just kidding.  No IP filed, yet.

post-4776-0-97398700-1457741455_thumb.jpg

post-4776-0-85884500-1457741488_thumb.jpg

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...