HybridZ

Stand alone controller and wiring harness question.

RonA

Just got rid of my Chevy stuff and would like to start collecting for a 2jz swap. The following was recommended along with a harness from Wiring Specialties.

Infinity 6                                                           $1399.95
Infinity 6 mini harness                                      $399.60
Wideband Sensor w/connector                        $140.27
Oil pressure sensor                                          $63.84
Fuel pressure sensor                                       $152.96
MAP Sensor                                                    $149.96
Intake Air Temp Sensor                                   $49.95
Boost control Solenoid                                     $71.94
Coolant temp sensor (optional)                        $38.01
Flex Fuel Sensor (optional)                              $213.00

If I purchase the complete engine w/ecm along with these parts, will that be the basics for getting it to fire up if it's supplied with power and fuel?
Thanks.
RonA

Your going to need a few more details here. Is the 2jz complete? Why not just use the stock ECU? It should fire up without any of this stuff on the stock ECU. I assume you want to tune for a big turbo is the reason for standalone so the JZ should have most of the sensors you need. 

Infinity 6                                                           $1399.95 Have you considered Megasquirt? More work but cheaper.Same performance.
Infinity 6 mini harness                                      $399.60
Wideband Sensor w/connector                        $140.27
Oil pressure sensor                                          $63.84 2jz block should have an oil sender.
Fuel pressure sensor                                       $152.96 Shouldn't need this with a decent regulator. There are cheaper sensors too. 
MAP Sensor                                                    $149.96 GM 3 bar should only be half that price
Intake Air Temp Sensor                                   $49.95
Boost control Solenoid                                     $71.94 
Coolant temp sensor (optional)                        $38.01 Not optional IMO. jz block should have this already.
Flex Fuel Sensor (optional)                              $213.00 

*I am not very familiar with JZ blocks just going of common knowledge. 
Edited by jacky4566

I've actually got an infinity 6 for my 1JZ. I've been building my own harness since its pretty easy. If you're buying a wiring harness you don't need the mini harness.

The infinity has some neat features I didn't find in the mega squirt. It's a solid unit to go with.

I've actually got an infinity 6 for my 1JZ. I've been building my own harness since its pretty easy. If you're buying a wiring harness you don't need the mini harness.

The infinity has some neat features I didn't find in the mega squirt. It's a solid unit to go with.

Don't mean to hijack the thread but would love a thread or some guidance on how to build your own wiring harness. The ECU pin outs are so confusing  :wacko:

Exposed: If the ECU pinouts are confusing you are going to have real trouble building your own harness.

It is a matter of getting either a blank ECU plug or adding a mid point connector partway down the harness. Then decoding the pinout, separating the harness, measuring the distance to the correct locations, crimping on new plugs, tidying up the harness, wrapping it and mounting it. 

Spend some time looking at the pin out and at the wires, once you can read the color coding separate the wires that you will be using vs the ones you will not and then bundle them by group. Add intermediary termination and run new wiring from the intermediary to the end location. It is time consuming, but in the end there is a finite number of wires and once you work your way thorough them with good quality tools and crimps and head shrink you will be fine. If you have to chase down shorts in your own wiring it will be a never ending game of cat and mouse so work on identifying and making bullet proof connections first.

Geno: I'm curious what features the infinity has that can't be found in megasquirt. I only took a quick glance, but I didn't see anything that seemed out of the ordinary. If one is comparing apples to apples, the more advanced megasquirt units have the same if not more features (anti-lag etc), once you start dropping to the cheaper basic setups like the MS2 then some differences really appear, but at that point you are comparing a $200-400 part to a $1400 part which isn't really a comparison. Would be interesting what features are available at the higher price points.

Ron: If you want to run a 2jz and you get the factory harness and ECU along with it you need to supply power, an ignition signal, and obviously a couple grounds. I think you can find a video on youtube of how simple it is to get a standard wiring harness to work in a swapped car. 

A running 2jz engine will come with...

Oil pressure sensor

Coolant temp sensor

Knock sensor

Any decent ECU will be able to accommodate a calibration curve to make use of those sensors

Things that will need to be addressed will be...

Map sensor (that price you listed is really high)

Fuel pressure sensor (not sure why you would need this, a gauge would do the same job and cost substantially less, the only time  I can see this helping is if you are running out of fuel and the pressure is dipping then the computer can control the injector timing to open it longer, but any smart ECU would do the same as it tries to target the AFR target)

IAT

Boost control solenoid

Flex fuel (not really needed unless you plan on mixing your fuel, most ECU's can store multiple maps)

Cam/Crank angle sensor (if you run an NA 2jz it will be running a distributor which is going to limit your timing control, this means you need to change it out to COPS and get a way to monitor the angle of the crank and or the cam)

Some of the things you are looking for hints at big boost, not sure the automatic is going to happy for that long when you hit it with those kinds of numbers.

The biggest one for me is really situational. I'm going to be swapping in my abs r200 from my 180SX into my car via the t3 kit. I've designed a mount that will let me put a proximity hall effect sensor on the front hubs (picks up the two piece rotor bolts). With that I'll be able to record the speed of the powered and non powered wheels and will have traction control via the infinity 6.

ECUMasters All the way.  

http://ecumasterusa.com/

I use a MS3 in my wife's miata, and an EMU in my R32.  I'm tuning a 2jzgte VVTi in the next few weeks running one.  Absolutely love it.

Has onboard MAP sensor, Flex Fuel sensor is like 50 bucks, it even has a built in wideband controller.  Just need to wire it up, and you're good to go.

I've worked a lot with AEM, and the new infinity is very nice, but highly overrated in terms of price.  Check out the EMU, I'm also a dealer for the unit (shameless plug), but I can vouch for it.  If you've ever messed with any tuning software (AEM/TunerStudio/Haltech) EMU will be a breeze.  They are constantly updating the software, and making it better and better.

Also, EMU supports traction control if you want to use it.  I've never used it though.

Edited by ihiryu

What about transmission control? Car currently has a nicely built 4l80E, but I was thinking about selling it and getting an A340E from ATF. Seems like most of the aftermarket electronics are designed for using a manual transmission and I'd hate to buy a something and then find out it wouldn't control the auto. If I went with a manual valve body in the 4l80, I assume an ECU for a manual application would work? 

Unfortunately the EMU does not do transcontrol, however their new unit (when it does release) supposedly will do transcontrol as well.  But I don't know when the EMUPro will be out.

However,have you ever looked into one of these units?

http://www.latentsolutions.com/suprastickuv.html

Coolest feature of the supra shift?  Paddle shifters lol

Edited by ihiryu

Infinity 5 is like 1500 bucks, then the PNP harness is another 300 bucks.  Then not to mention it doesn't have a MAP sensor.  And a 10x10 lambda table.  

I have a big distrust with AEM now.  A while ago, I was working on a V6 civic.  The car was DUMPING fuel into Cylinder 5.  I called them, and they said it was an issue with setup.  I sent it back (they charged me 125 dollars), and they fixed a "power driver".  Keep in mind, this soldier bought this unit from me before he deployed, and I finally opened it when he was about to return (a year).  

I told them this, and told me to send it in.  When I got it back, it DID THE EXACT SAME THING.  I called to complain, at that point they told me they found no fault in the unit.  I asked them why they charged me for fixing a "power driver" if nothing was wrong.  So fed up, I find a spare output, and changed it to fire off cylinder 5.  And voila, fixed.  

AEM's customer support is terrible.  Sure, I'm just one guy, but how many other "one guy"'s like myself have been treated this way?

EMU on the other hand, superb customer support. When I first tried their DET3 unit, I was having some issues, a quick phone call was all it took, but I digress.

EMU is constantly updating their software, since I've been onboard, they have updated their software 3-4 times already. They take in suggestions from customers on their forums, and they try to add it in the next software update.  They aren't a big powerhouse like AEM currently is, but I know they will eventually overtake them.

Ah, my experience has been the opposite. I bought my infinity 6 for $975 during a sale, and I'm making my harness from scratch. The connector for the ecu side was $45. I don't like built in map sensors because they tend to require running a vac line through the fire wall.

• 2 weeks later...

Made a call to Kaisen in Southern Ca. Going to try and get some stuff from him so I can get started on this. Harness and electronics for sure. Might even try and get a motor from him instead of the local JDM places. 

• 2 weeks later...

Got a motor and the shop is going to build a harness for it and supply all the electronics to run it.  Decided to go with the 4l80 as a transmission and a stand alone so hopefully it won't give any problems as far as breakage .