HybridZ

Brackets for Z32 brakes on a S30

Arif

Last October a few friends and I went to Japan on a Z trip. Since we were there we asked around if anyone sold the adapters that would allow the use of Z32 calipers on a S30. One of our group members found a source and we ordered a set. I bought an extra set to see if there would be interest in recreating them here in the states. Before I get them made I'd like to see if anyone is interested in buying a set. I just picked them up today and will visit a few local machinist to get prices next week. I'll post up the cost soon but if you're interested in a set you can post below.

20160126_212626.jpg

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The set up will be identical to the brake set up here:http://forums.hybridz.org/topic/105586-z32-caliper-conversion-kit-front-only/?hl=brakes&do=findComment&comment=987858

It uses the Honda Odyssey rotors which does require redrilling for a four lug set up along with enlarging the center hole to 81mm.

Edited by Arif

Just a small update. I'm meeting with a buddy this weekend and he's agreed to do the CAD work for the adapters. Hopefully I'll have it back by the end of next week and can take it to get quotes from local CNC shops after that.

Ok I got a chance to bolt everything up to make sure there weren't any issues with the brackets. The only issue I ran across was the top allen bolt was hitting the strut tube. I'm not sure if it's because of the coilovers but I'm going to grab some traditional bolts with shorter heads to see if that remedies the issue. Here are some pictures so you can see what the set up looks like. 

20160131_140041.jpg

20160131_140152.jpg

20160131_140309.jpg

20160131_140316.jpg

Don't want to step on anyone's toes, however, I am available to pitch in for drafting and potentially 3D printing a prototype. 

Additionally if there are a lot of people interested in the swap that are having a hard time getting rotors modified, it might be worth looking into a custom rotor option group buy. Maybe: https://www.adamsrotors.com/

What is the rotor diameter?

Mine are already installed so I can't measure them however one write-up says the rotors are 11.65".

Don't want to step on anyone's toes, however, I am available to pitch in for drafting and potentially 3D printing a prototype. 

Additionally if there are a lot of people interested in the swap that are having a hard time getting rotors modified, it might be worth looking into a custom rotor option group buy. Maybe: https://www.adamsrotors.com/

If they can make custom rotors that would be great. I borrowed a friend's drill press and used the old hub ring as a template then bolted it down to the rotor.

20160122_121044.jpg

I forgot to mention we placed the old ring on the rotor and measured from the end of the ring to the end of the rotor hat. We took four measurements and made sure they were all the same. Be careful when drilling the hole that goes through the original hole, the bit tended to want to walk when we were drilling it out.

Edited by Arif

Mine are already installed so I can't measure them however one write-up says the rotors are 11.65".

If they can make custom rotors that would be great. I borrowed a friend's drill press and used the old hub ring as a template then bolted it down to the rotor.

20160122_121044.jpg

I forgot to mention we placed the old ring on the rotor and measured from the end of the ring to the end of the rotor hat. We took four measurements and made sure they were all the same. Be careful when drilling the hole that goes through the original hole, the bit tended to want to walk when we were drilling it out.

I recall measuring my Odyssey rotor and there were like 11 13/16. I have since returned them. Arif, how did you enlarge the center hole?

Keep in mind that these rotors were originally defined to go in front of the hub, over the lug studs. I went 5 lug, and the bolt pattern on the back of my TTT 5 lug hubs is 103mm. This would still have been drillable.

Instead of having custom rotors, how about custom rotor adaptors? Then you could use off the shelf wilwood rotors and not have to customize your wear parts. Rotor adaptors might be cheaper than entire rotors.

Edited by JoeK