HybridZ

Tire rubbing shock after brake upgrade:Help!

Hi all, Last weekend I installed the silvermine front brake upgrade on my 1982 280zx NA this one, http://www.silverminemotors.com/nissan/nissan-280zx/brake-kits-nissan-280zx/stage-4-front-brake-upgrade-kit

Anywho,quality of the kit is flawless,everything mounted perfectly,and car stops beautifully,

Today however i removed my front wheels,to double check tightness,and fitment of everything. 

Came to find my front right tire is rubbing on the shock now,sidewall is just barely touching,and where the tread starts at the edge of the tire,was severely rubbing,on the lower spring perch.

FWIW suspension is completely stock to my knowledge.

Wheel bearings where not replaced during the brake kit install. but were cleaned thoroughly(along with the spindles)and bearings repacked,and as it sits now the bearings have no slop in them.I did notice the ball joint on the passenger side has a little bit of slop when the suspension is unloaded.

Crudely since this is my dd,I took a hammer to the lower spring perch,to remedy the issue..for now..

Suspension will be replace,after i get my engine build done and engine in.

Added some pics to help with any ideas,  In the overall picture i added red sqaures to indicate where the tire was rubbing.

and also added a picture of the front left with the suspension load to show the clearance on that side (roughly 3/8 of an inch),

while the passenger side has none.

Any input is greatly appreciated since this is my dd.

Thanks in advance.

post-48934-0-81882400-1454274812_thumb.jpg

post-48934-0-34443000-1454274816_thumb.jpg

post-48934-0-73884300-1454274823_thumb.jpg

post-48934-0-62165100-1454274828_thumb.jpg

post-48934-0-50446000-1454274833_thumb.jpg

Edited by KidandhisCar

Add a spacer behind your wheel adapter.  How did you measure bearing "slop".  Seems like you were probably super close before you started and didn't get the bearings tight when you reassembled.

What year car?  And the link is broken, describe which kit.  The Silvermine site must use cookies.

Bearing slop was measured by hand with the wheel on the car,and and with the wheel off,shaking it in all directions,and not with a dial indicator or anything of that nature. Tomorrow before I remount the wheel,I will re-preload the bearing,and double check my work in there. 

The kit Includes, 2 rotors off a ford GT500 redrilled to match the front 280zx hubs,(car is an 82',it's in the original post) 1992 toyota 4 runner 4 pot calipers.

Custom mounting brackets for the calipers,Spacers that go between the outside rotor face,and inside inside hub face,to align the rotors center to the caliper,Stainless front lines,and new hardware all around,and ceramic pads.

I'm not keen on adding another wheel spacer,even if its a thin one, as the car already has spacers to get my 17in enkies to fit,also I don't know how having one wheel,(even though minutely) farther out from the hub on one side would affect steering.(I'm thinking it could affect the ackerman),but not positive.

Also I fixed the link to the silvermine kit.

I much appreciate your input

Edited by KidandhisCar

Well,today i found the cause of my woes(presumably). Inspected and re-loaded the wheel bearing,Nothing looked out of normal.When I went to pick up my wheel with the new tire installed. The gentleman there told me there was a small finishing nail in my tire,wich i was unaware of.

I mounted the new wheel/tire onto the hub and checked my clearance. Had about 1/8 gap,maybe slightly less, much more then when checking the day before,Even though I had massaged the lower spring perch a little. Anywho, I suspect that the tire may have been low enough on air due to the slow leak of the nail to cause the tire to "sag" ,and let the side wall balloon out just far enough to touch.

I went today and bought two 1/4in wheel spaces and mounted them both on the fronts,to ensure this wont bite me again.

I much appreciate the input gents!