HybridZ

NISMO fuel pump install help

DeLorean

I have looked around for info on this but haven't turned anything up yet. Apologies if it was right in front of my face.

I'm trying to install a NISMO fuel pump (push style) near the fuel tank on my '73 240z. It is my understanding that the car is wired to run the fuel pump, but I'm wondering if there is any guide to exact mounting / wiring. This is the fuel pump I'm referring to:

post-3338-0-84033500-1454433522_thumb.jpg

Thanks for any info you can provide.

I saved these pics from somewhere online years ago.  This guy was doing a very accurate/faithful restoration and had this bracket custom made to be like the original.  I made a simple L shaped bracket and bolted it to this same location you see in the third picture (pic is not my car).  There are two nuts already welded to inside the car frame that are there specifically for the fuel pump bracket.  

post-4218-0-66706000-1454801980_thumb.jpg

post-4218-0-18186100-1454801981_thumb.jpg

post-4218-0-77466200-1454801981_thumb.jpg

I made my bracket out of .100 thick mild steel.  You'll want to make it longer than the height of the fuel pump so it can serve as a shield to keep road debris from bouncing up and hitting the pump, hooking on the pump, etc.  You can find rubber grommets at auto stores that are the right size - I think I got mine from Advance Auto.

Regarding wiring:

I recall being able to find several people who wrote about it online, perhaps on this site.  I remember reading about members who wired in auto "cut-off" switches of different types... so the pump turns off in an accident situation.  You would be wise to so.  

On my 12/70 series one car, there is a factory connector "taped" to the wiring harness in the center of the dash with blue tape. If I recall correctly, you can get power to the pump (key position "on") by putting a fuse like this in place on that harness connector (thereby joining the two connections in the harness plug).  On my car, that wiring goes to the electric fuel pump location in the rear of the car - I believe it shares the wiring for the tank sender unit.  My pump was just like the one in the picture above, it only had one wire, and it was for the 12V power.  My pump body had to be connected to ground for it to operate - again, like in the picture above.

Edited by inline6

• 2 weeks later...