HybridZ

L28 engine stand

jhill

I am rebuilding my l28 from my 78 280z, and I seem to be lost on how to mount it to the engine stand I purchased.

Yes, there is a good possibility I am clearly over looking something, but I can't seem to get it! Feel free to ridicule me, as long as you help me figure it out. I have done top end rebuilds before but never needed to put an engine on a stand to do the bottom end.

Hopefully you don't look at this as foolish and pass it by!

The stand is an autocraft from advance auto and is very similar to the 3 legged autozone and harbor freight ones if anyone has any direct experience.

Thank you in advance!

What's the first problem?  My $.02 - I bolt the stand to the engine while it's hanging from a lift.  You can make adjustments to the mount positions while it's like that with no weight on the stand.

Make sure you have good quality bolts, and a selection of spacers/beefy washers so you don't bottom bolts.

Be CAREFUL with those 3 wheeled stands, especially when attempting to move or roll.  Can tip fast with bad results.  My first advice is get a 4 wheeled stand.

Usually there are 4 mounting points on the engine stands, bolt these to the back of the engine block 2ea at the top of the flywheel (12 oclock position) the other two mounting points are on the side of the flywheel (3 & 9 oclock position).

You can use head bolts from L series or head bolts from a Honda civic motor if I remember right and then just use spacers and washers as needed.

Good luck