HybridZ

Door seals weatherstrip, I found a set that works

mehas240z

Hello,

I also posted this in model specific forums main under the "Kia Weatherstrip Thread" please let me know if I shouldn't post this again here.

I was looking for weatherstripping for the doors, door seals etc.

I finally bought "New Door seal weatehrstrip (LH+RH) for 1970-1978 Datsun 240z 260z 280z" from Ebay user "boldbluesky"

$100 shipped

Recieved item.  It came in two seperate bags, 1 for each side, labeled.

I installed drivers side.  Door seal is about 1ft too long and will need to be trimmed at the base where the scuff plate etc installs. Aside from that, no issues.  It gripped the seam tightly, formed all radiuses, and tucked up in the corner without issues.  I did not use any type of adhesive as I was just test fitting, but it hasn't sagged or anything.  Very pliable.

My car is not stock or restored so I cannot vouch for doors with perfect hinges, but i had no issues with the door not closing flush like others have posted with other seals. I had to slam it to latch but that is because I was pulling from the door frame itself, i have no handles etc installed.

I could see no light coming through around frame so i assume it made a nice seal.

I will post pictures when I get home.

Hope this helps.

*Disclaimer* He did not ask me to post this, I am just posting because I kept reading about issues with door seals and which to get.  I have ordered other seals from him, rear window, 1/4 windows, and maybe another one but felt I needed to post about these because of the issues users had with door seals.

-Brian

• Like 1

The EBay link (maybe it's just one of those Google ad word diverters) just goes to eBay and searching boldbluesky there comes up with nothing.  Good that you found something that seems to work, even though you had to slam the doors to shut them, and you've only tested sealing by looking for light.  The Sportage seals seem to work better, no slamming required.  Seals too thick is the reason people looked for other options.

Good intentions but not much to use here.  Why didn't you use the Sportage weather strip?

I never had any luck grabbing the sportage ones and the sportages in the junkyards around me, when I called, are not pick and pull and this one place even told me they do not sell the weatherstrips, go figure.

I don't actually have to slam due to the weatherstripping, I just want to clear that up, it's only due to my door itself.

The ebay link is just an ad link that the site does, I didn't provide an actual link, don't want people to think I am scamming with evil links. "boldbluesky" is an actual user, he aslo sells arts and crafts items, so if you find his name and are thrown off by his inventory, he sells both, crafts and z stuff.

I'll throw some water on it and test for leaks this weekend to provide an update, there is a snow storm here so i'll compare the drivers side to the passengers side in resepct to snow/water inside the frame.  Drivers side is completed, passengers is not.

Thank you,

-Brian

I was wondering if you could post a picture of the actual profile of the weatherstrip (looking directly at one end).  This intrigues me as I've seen the original door weatherstrip that Nissan used and I'm wondering how this weatherstrip compares.  Thanks.

Never mind - found his listing on eBay and the photos show the profile I was looking for.

Edited by cgsheen

I was wondering if you could post a picture of the actual profile of the weatherstrip (looking directly at one end).  This intrigues me as I've seen the original door weatherstrip that Nissan used and I'm wondering how this weatherstrip compares.  Thanks.

Never mind - found his listing on eBay and the photos show the profile I was looking for.

So how does it compare?

I think I'd have to see it in real life.  It looks fairly similar to the weatherstrip on Bob's '75 280Z "museum car" that we had in the shop.  To me, it looks a little thicker, but I'm sure the weatherstrip on the 280 was compressed from 30 years of having the door shut on it. 

However, the original stuff is extremely soft and pliable.  It conformed to whatever gap the door presented with ease.  The doors closed with an unbelievably light touch (seriously - it was unreal...).  The original was definitely a "flap" type seal - not a bulb - and definitely nothing at all like the stuff Precision sells...

For the $100 the Ebay seller wants, I can buy side-bulb welt weatherstrip for three or four Z's.  Still, after seeing the original, I lust for weatherstrip as good as that.

Here are two profiles and the P/N

I didn't look up the P/N and I have gotten other seals that came in the green bag and from what I understand, those were Precision.  These are clear bags with nothing other than the sticker you see. If these are in fact resold MSA seals, I couldn't tell you.  I don't have the issue of them being too thick as you can see from the above picture of the door closed.

Weatherstrip%20part%20number_zpsqf08tfso

Weatherstrip%20profile%202_zpsqo7wvsvq.j

Weatherstrip%20Profile%201_zpsa5svtodh.j

The seals are very pliable and hugged all the turns no problem.  I have always had to slam my doors, before and after weatherstrip.  I think this is more of a function of my door latches than anything else, with no change in force needed due to weatherstrip.

*Top two photos have been rotated multiple times in photobucket, can get them to appear correct*

Let me know if you have any other questions. 

Thank you,

-Brian

For the $100 the Ebay seller wants, I can buy side-bulb welt weatherstrip for three or four Z's. 

Care to share the size/vendor/part number? I imagine mcmaster carr.

I've gone through precision, there's were real bad. Had to really wind up to slam the door, a friend had older precision set on his and they fit and closed great, I think he closed his car with one finger where I had to really wind up and slam it (even have the broken driver window to prove it). Talked to a tester of the manufacturer and he said the company was going through some major restructuring and were in the middle of a revision, but internal struggles made them just release product to keep cash flow so the quality and such went to crap. So I've heard.

I've gone to kia weatherstripping. Car door closes real easy, but the seal is pretty mediocre, still find drops in the car if it has rained. Need a door and window adjustment, but I've thought it too light for a while.

Any additional alternative would be appreciated.

Brian, Thanks for the close-up on the profile!  Your pictures are much better than the ones on the eBay site.  This molding looks very close to the original we saw in the '75 museum car.  The outer edge may have been slightly thinner, but that's probably due to compression over the many years.

Definitely a huge step above the door seals that Precision makes!  I like the "sponge" used and the "U" shape of the bead.  It has the flexibility of the bulb type, but a wider, straighter sealing surface on the side.  I'm impressed actually.

Care to share the size/vendor/part number? ...

I've gone to kia weatherstripping. Car door closes real easy, but the seal is pretty mediocre, still find drops in the car if it has rained. Need a door and window adjustment, but I've thought it too light for a while.

I have two shops near hear (one in Mesa, one in Tempe) that carry the side-bulb welt in bulk and sell it by the foot.  One is a paint shop that sells retail and has a bunch of paint/body & detailing supplies.  The other is a upholstery shop that sells odds-and-ends , has auto, marine, and general upholstery fabric, leather, and supplies.  They also happen to carry a bunch of auto fasteners and weatherstrip.  I can buy it there too.  They also carry the window channel weatherstrip that perfectly fits a Z.

• 9 months later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Google it, you'll find zcarsource and mayb 2 other places and they will have some things. If you have a t-top car you wont find any of that except the pieces that mount to the t-top and you have to really disassemble it to change them...