#1 whatnow123

whatnow123

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 116 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 06 February 2016 - 01:05 PM

Well, I went and did it again... ended up putting a ported lower intake on my car (fuel injected 5.0) as the dyno guy said something was choking the engine last summer (265rwhp then).  Anyway, turns out he was right. I swapped on the intake and now I have no traction at all in 1st and 2nd with a 3:70 LSD no less. I can break the rear way loose doing 30 MPH now by just mashing the throttle. It wouldn't do that before.

Anyway, I do have coilovers and my rims are 8x16 with a zero offset and 225 50 16 tires.

Anyone know off hand how much wider of tire I can fit under there without issues? I wouldn't mind a little taller rear tire as well. I don't have any rubbing issues at all as my car is only lowered about an inch.

Thanks in advance...

5.0 V8 5 speed! Yeah Baby!

#2 Phantom

Phantom

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2672 posts
  • LocationYakima, Washington

Posted 06 February 2016 - 02:12 PM

Get out a tape measure or ruler and measure the distance from the outer edge of the tire to the fender and the inner edge of the tire to the nearest suspension point.  Using the SHORTER of the two dimensions, double it and that will give you the absolute maximum amount wider the tire could be.  I would suggest staying slightly undershoot to avoid rubbing.  Then the problem will be finding a tire that size.  I've hear of folks getting 245 series tires under the rear fenders but everything has to be right to do that.  You could also go to a better tire.  Find an extreme performance summer tire with a treadler rating of 200 or less.  I'm running 225/50-16 Dunlop Direzza's on my LS1 car with a 3.70 LSD and it holds in 2nd but still has issues in first if I hit hard while engaging the clutch.

'77 280Z with LS1/T56, '93 Z32 convertible, '05 Audi A8L, '02 Suburban LT

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users