HybridZ

Help with rb20det swap into 76 280z

claymann

I just orderd a rb20det for my 280z and I feel fairly confident that i can manage the physical part of the build, the mounts the oil sump etc. but I do. It feel I can do the wiring myself I have read the guide writen by a fellow named Chris multiple times but I just don't know and I was wondong who I should go to to get actual help with the process, perhaps another forum member, but who do you think I should go to otherwise? A mechanic? I really don't know. Thanks

Edited by claymann

If your engine comes with a harness in good shape making the connections is straight forward. It will save you a big chunk of change. Remember you are only talking about the engine harness, not the whole car. You are mainly just giving the harness power and ground for ignition and fuel. The key is to go one circuit at a time and use quality electrical supplies (solder, heat shrink, good wire, good relays (Bosch)). 

The only reason I bought a harness from WS was because the harness that came with the engine was trashed and I made it worse being a dumbas@.

2 cents

^^^that and integrating the new alternator into the pass side harness is very simple. Use the datsun oil pressure sender, use your datsun starter/power stuff, and cut/connect the new alternator stuff onto the existing stuff. It's fairly easy, just takes a few minutes and some patience. 

• 4 weeks later...

I'm also in the process of doing the swap but I'm having trouble with wiring. I have an autech rb20det full swap. Trouble I'm having is my harness and ECU are different then the write ups. My ecu has four separate plugs instead of the block that plugs and bolts in. And my pin out is alot different. If anyone is familiar with this some help would be great.