HybridZ

Recommend a new laptop, or needing software.

xxjoeyxxeb

When I first installed my Megasquirt in 2008/2009, I had my old Compaq from 2005 and it worked great. Now, it is extremely slow, but more importantly, it is large and heavy. Battery also sucks. I am looking for suggestions for a cheap-ish laptop/tablet/convertible laptop/netbook that will work with whatever programs are needed for tuning and all. Are there any Windows versions, memory, or other software limitations? Is it worth getting one of those touchscreen convertible laptops or no? I haven't done much tuning for a few years, but need to get back at it this spring since the car is done and ready for fun. Thanks all!

I think your in the same boat as i am.. Using my original Megasquirt from 2006 and still have megatune on 2 old laptops. Megatune is obsolete now.. Tuner studio is the upgrade if im not mistaken. You just have to find out the laptop requirements for that.

There is the newer Shadow dash that works on tablets. You just have to find out what is needed to use the tablet with Shadow dash.

That does not extend to Windows RT though.  So a Microsoft Surface or Surface 2 will not work (the Surface Pro or Surface Pro 2 will work, as will anything Surface 3 or newer.)  

I have TunerStudio installed on a cheap (~$100) 8" windows tablet (WinBook) and it works fine, aside from being a bit cumbersome to use with the touchscreen (with it being so small and no keyboard)

Edited by Namor

I actually use an Asus Transformer.  It's become my dedicated tuning laptop.  It has a full sized usb, with a detachable keyboard.

I use my winbook TW700 sometimes, but I have an issue with my fingers being so fat.

I updated the Transformer from Win8 to Win10 and it was all plug and play.

The TW700 took some work, updated to Win10 and it was slow as dirt.  I had to do some registry hacks, and delete the old partition for win8, and it runs pretty decent now.

Awesome, thank you everyone. I'll search around for a small 10" or so with keyboard, Win 10, and USB. 

Just be aware that some of the older software  ( 16 bit ) will not work on 64 bit OS systems. Well. it won't work without a few tweaks.

64 bit OS's will natively only support 64 bit and 32 bit software. Not 16 bit or DOS. However, old 16 bit programs can be made to run on 64 Bit OS with a program called Setup32. This is a 32 bit  emulation installer that enables you to install and run 16 bit Programs on a 64 Bit OS. Here is the link showing how to use it. Note: This is from a HalTech forum, but it will work with all Tuning Software. Or any other old 16 bit Games and Programs.

http://forums.haltech.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=11540

Here is the direct link to download Setup32.exe:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwibDCBlENP_R044RUg0NFhFb3M/view