HybridZ

ARE dry sump for L6 - Engine Drop

inline6

Anyone running a dry sump set up with an ARE pan?  I'm looking into it and thinking about lowering the engine.  I'm interested in lowering it by using custom or modified engine mounts.  Curious if anyone has done this or something similar.  

Garrett

Yes, that would be helpful.  I was planning on buying one soon so I could take measurements.  I'm not sure how to go about lowering the engine as much as possible, thus the reason for the post.  Dropping the engine means dropping the front of the transmission.  I assume dropping the front of the transmission means dropping the back also (will need a custom transmission mount).  My initial thought is to lower the engine 3/4" to compensate for the extra height of the LD28 block.  That would put the header (and custom exhaust) back in the same location as it was with the L-28, and solve the hood clearance problem. But, while I'm here... I figure I need to explore the possibilities.

Edited by inline6

Using the Nissan Motorsports pan I was able to drop the engine almost two inches and move it back about four inches. I replaced the stock rubber engine mounts with machined aluminum blocks. I had clearance issues with the oil pump and anti roll bar/X member, header collector and floor pan.

• 2 weeks later...

I made my own oïl pan with a sheet of aluminium, with a Weaver bros dry sump pump system, and lowered the steering rack, and cross member,, so i am about 50 mm ( 2 ") lower . You have to realign the gear box bracket  ( 25mm or 1")

Of course, you have to modify the steering geometry to avoid any " bump steering" on such a bad suspension and steering system

Edited by didier

I finally got around to dragging it down.  It may have less clearance than a stock pan!  The "sump" is a 4"wide tray that runs the length of the pan on the drivers side.  It measures about 3" from block to lowest point.20160224_1333401.jpg

Uggh.  Need to be able to drop the engine down at least 3/4".  Thanks for taking the time to measure and provide the pic.

I tried to lower the best I could on the car I am building now. I used a different steering rack mounted slightly lower and dropped the engine until there was less than 1/4 inch clearance to oil pan. I dont think I gained much. I also moved the engine about 1" to passenger side for weight distribution.

• 2 years later...

Been a while, but I was revisiting this topic and came across this picture on the Datsun Spirit site.  This ARE sump pan appears to be a different design than the one shown on the ARE website.

Can anyone confirm that the ARE pan has been redesigned so the "trough" (low part of the casting) is no longer running the full length of the pan?   This design pictured would allow the engine to be dropped without interfering with the steering rack.  I'll ask ARE and report back.

ARE 240z pan on engine.jpg

Edited by inline6

I just heard back from Sandy Armstrong at ARE.  

"Garrett,  Well, you have pointed out an error both in our catalog as well as on the internet....We have changed our 1120 pan to not have the full trough but to have rack clearance.  So the way we manufacturer those now is like the one on the engine that you sent.  Thanks for pointing that out I will get a new picture uploaded on the web site."

So, the "new" ARE pan has more clearance at the rack.  I'll buy one and figure out how much lower the engine can go.

Edited by inline6