HybridZ

Reviews wanted: MSA Retractable Seat Belt

LLave

I am wrapping up fitting a pair of 2004 WRX seats into my Z and looking into my seat belt options. I am strongly considering the MSA retractable seat belts:

http://www.thezstore.com/page/TZS/PROD/40-7490

However, searching on google, I seem to find quite a few people saying they hated them. But no one saying specifically why. So, if there are any members here who can share their experiences, or perhaps a photo or two, that would be immensely helpful.

Thank you,

Mike

I do not have those MSA belts.  But looking at the pictures can say I would not like the installation in my car (early 260).  The retractor mechanism behind the seat would obstruct rearwards movement, a big issue for me with legroom and '04 350Z seat install.  Pictures not that clear, but it seems the buckle side is just a belt, not rigid?  Seems like it would just fall down between the seat all the time.  Also those metal buckles would be bad for Arizona sunshine.

I went with Wesco roadster belts and am satisfied.  These using the 8" rigid sleeves. http://wescoperformance.stores.yahoo.net/noname.html The retractor mechanism hangs from the rear pillar adjacent to the hatch.

Fitting seats seems a custom project - I'm tall (6'5") and was looking for max leg/head room.  Everything ends up a compromise, but I made big efforts (power tools, cutting disks, etc.) to reduce obstructions behind the seat.  I might advise installing seats before settling on belts.

I have them. they are OK biggest problem is the female side. It is not stiff so it tends to fall in between the seat and the trans tunnel . they constantly need adjustment.   The more I think about it... more I dislike them certainly better than 40 year old belts. If you find better options LMK 

I have them.  Not sure if they'll actually prevent my nose from breaking against my steering wheel in a major accident.  That being said, it was a more comfortable option to the original lap belt set-up which guaranteed to break my nose against the steering wheel.  I'd also be interested in other options if you find them.  Thanks.

Thanks for all the input guys. I think I need to take some measurements with my seat setup and maybe order a custom seatbelt from seatbelt planet. There is just not much to attach the shoulder belt to. I can see why the MSA belts are designed the way they are.

Malibud check out this amazon link. I bet, with a little plastic trimming, you can find a solution to the falling belt.

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=seat+belt+sleeve&tag=googhydr-20&index=aps&hvadid=55158369643&hvpos=1t1&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=15664480557155283351&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=b&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_2yexsr4y5_b

Don't get a 3-point retractable from seatbelt planet, I order their kit and it did not work with my 240z. (Tensioner didn't have enough strength to work properly)

Thank you, I was seriously considering going this route. Good to know. 

• 2 weeks later...

I did finish the install of the MSA Kit and it works fine. You have to shorten it by 20" then it even retracts the belt all the way back now.

The seat can be full in the back and the angle to the back as well (most seating space)

The other side I just let hang over the trans tunnel.

Hope this is understandable.

• 4 weeks later...

I have had the kit installed for quite some time myself, I'm 5'11" and don't mind it at all. My only gripe as mentioned earlier is that it's a loose belt, but I just put the buckle in the cup holder, or let it fall between the seat backs... No big deal