HybridZ

Got myself a mystery gearbox

Villeman

Hey,

thats not a problem, I figured out where it came from in the mean time  (1993 200Sx with Ca18DET  engine), but the gears do not look too convincing (regarding wear), any I would like to have a second opinion before I put it in.

"the CA18DET was sold as the only available engine in the S13 chassis 200SX (Euro model) until replaced by the S14 in 1994"

{Xnke posting from RedZedTurbo's house}

They will be polished, sure. As long as there is no pitting or broken teeth, they'll be OK. The only way to know for certain is to hear it in a car and actually drive it, unless you see broken, pitted, or seriously chipped (more than 10% of the load face) teeth.

That does not cover the condition of the synchronizers though...You can inspect the engagement teeth and see if they're really worn but even really worn engagement teeth can be smooth and quiet, it just depends.

I know for a fact that 1987 200SX CA20e boxes with that shifter on them are the same length as a stock 240Z box...they are NOT 50mm longer like the later units. Somewhere around here I has a data pile of all the changes and the approximate years, as well as the gear ratios and applications of the FS5W71X gearboxes. In my Z, I had to move the mount back 1", and rotate the transmission mount 180*, to get them to bolt up, but when I was using the 200SX box I did not have to shorten the driveshaft-just ground the spotwelds off to remove the dust collar.

• 2 weeks later...