HybridZ

200SX / S12 FS5w71b

matthewabate

I've found tons of info about adapting a FS5w71c into a 240z, but I can't find anything about using the 200SX / S12 version of the FS5w71b 5-speed in an S30 other than a little comment on this page:

'83-10/'84 200sx w/CA20 and the truck # 3 use same ratios. This is often touted as the best gearsets for a 4-cylinder 510. Very low 1st gear for fast starting acceleration and smooth progression of jumps between ratios. For use with an L-series, a 280Z/ZX style bellhousing must be swapped onto the CA20 tranny case and bellhousing modified to match with larger diameter CA20 shifter rods, and use smaller OD 280zx jackshaft bearing.

I'm interested in this transmission because of the ratios (3.592, 2.057, 1.361, 1.000, and 0.813) being so similar to the FS4w71b ratios that came with the car, and that 5th gear having longer legs for highway driving. It really seems like the optimal ratio spread.

My question really is, presuming I were able to get my hands on one, how hard is it to do the work described above. I can't seem to find an example of anyone having done it.

Thanks for that link. I'm not certain all that info is correct, though. The B transmission stopped coming in the 200x in 84/85, right? And they had different ratios pre '83.

I'm pretty sure I could find a bell housing from a Z to bolt on, and the jackshaft bearing from a ZX is straight forward. The thing giving me pause3 is modifying the bell housing to accommodate the CA20 shifter rods.

Would it not be better to use shifter rods off a Z/ZX? Is that even possible? This is foreign territory for me.

Another open question is whether or not this transmission is strong enough to work with a ZX engine. The ratios might be right for me, but is this as good as or better than a ZX transmission as far as reliability goes? I mean, the T5 sounds like an even better option, because the ratios aren't that far off and parts availability is better, but getting that into the car sounds like way more work than getting the 200sx B transmission in.

• 1 month later...

Use the big 62mm countershaft bearing, it's far stronger than the ZX bearing.

The guts of that trans are somewhat stronger than the ZX transmission WHEN you use the big bearing. If you use the small ZX countershaft bearing, you will get a box that is the same strength as the ZX box.

All the information concerning the conversion in that link is correct and verified. There are LOTS of gear ratios available in the FS5W71 series gearboxes...I have listings for 24 different ratio sets. There are multiple countershaft sets out there, then you modify the countershaft ratios by changing the input shaft ratios. Then 5th gear is independantly changable...it's a pretty flexible transmission!

The t5 that came in the turbo cars is basically a bolt-in transmission as long as you have the driveshaft for it.  Good luck finding one though, they are hard to come by and fetch a pretty penny.  Personally I'd take this trans over all the other feasible options but will probably go for the SX trans if I decide to keep my L series long term.