HybridZ

77 Turn signal problems

So smoke started coming from my steering column one day ... My right turn signal does not work and my left "freezes" . Has anyone else had this problem with their 77? I'm suspecting it short circuited . Is there any KEY areas to check ? Any help is greatly appreciated

So smoke started coming from my steering column one day ..

Is there any KEY areas to check ?

The stuff inside the plastic cover.  

Take the screws out and remove it.  Careful with the top piece, you have to maneuver it so you don't break the corners off.  Don't miss the small screw in the bottom middle.  The ring around the ignition switch will pop out about 1/8 inch to give you extra room.

I started by checking the continuity on the turn signal switch. On my 78 280z there was a bad connection in the hazard switch preventing things from working. Not sure if its the same on the 77 but might be worth checking. There were screws I took off on the switch and cleaned the contacts. It fixed my problems. I also replaced both the flashers just to eliminate those as a problem. They are cheap. Hope that helps.

Edited by spicemechanic

As NewZed stated, be very careful when removing the plastics around column.  They brake quite easily and are very difficult to find replacements for (unless you want to spend a lot).

I personally like to remove my steering wheel when working in that area.  It is quite easy to do and makes removal of the plastics much easier.  It also allows you an unobstructed view of the turn signal switch and mechanism.  To remove the steering wheel, press the horn pad in all the way (I suggest disconnecting the battery first so you dont draw attention from the neighbors) and turn it counter-clockwise.  It will pop right off after that and allow you to unbolt the wheel.  I have never needed a steering-wheel puller for this either.  If it seems a bit stuborn to come off, leave the center nut on about half way and give the wheel a few firm tugs towards you (giving it a few firm hits from the back of the wheel with your fist and wiggling it as you pull can help as well).  The reason I suggest leaving the nut on half way is so when it finally comes loose, you dont smack yourself with it.

Good luck!

Pillar

I started by checking the continuity on the turn signal switch. On my 78 280z there was a bad connection in the hazard switch preventing things from working. Not sure if its the same on the 77 but might be worth checking. There were screws I took off on the switch and cleaned the contacts. It fixed my problems. I also replaced both the flashers just to eliminate those as a problem. They are cheap. Hope that helps.