5 replies to this topic

#1 abratcher

abratcher

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • LocationEvans, GA

Posted 05 March 2016 - 09:31 PM

I got my 1973 240z for my senior project and ive done everything i can find and think of to get it started but i still get nothing.

Background info:

Bought it from behind a mechanic shop i volunteer at, apparently been sitting for 2 years and the owner didn't want to buy new carburetors to replace his terrible gunked up ones. but it ran when parked (thats all the background info i got)

the car seems to have some electrical issues i think seeing as no lights came on when i turn the key and it wouldn't even turn over by the key.

I had to take out the dash so i could cut out the old floor pan and frame rails (rusted beyond repair) and weld in the new ones, so right now the dash is out

So far ive:

Bought new to me flat top carburetors and had them rebuilt by the shop i volunteer at

got new spark plugs, distributor cap, distributor rotor, point set, ignition condenser, air and fuel filter, and in pump fuel filter

I know its getting spark i checked by taking a spark plug out and making sure it did (arc was blue, ive heard it may not start if its arc is orange because its weak) granted i do have to run a wire straight from the battery to the coil when i try to start it to get 12v to it

im pretty positive its getting fuel i can see it going up through the filter

the carburetors were just rebuilt so im sure thats not the problem

ive tried spraying carb spray in the carbs but to no avail

it turns over just fine but refuses to start

I may be missing something obvious but im at a total loss

any help would be greatly appreciated

Adrienne

#2 Xnke

Xnke

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2001 posts
  • LocationBowling Green KY

Posted 05 March 2016 - 10:21 PM

So  you have the dash out.

Fit the tachometer back into the dash wiring, as the ignition coil power wire passes through the tachometer.

Unplug the tach, kill the coil power.

Next, get out your service manual and start checking your circuits.

#3 abratcher

abratcher

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • LocationEvans, GA

Posted 06 March 2016 - 08:37 AM

Would the tach wire still be stopping me since i have temporarily ran a wire from the battery to the coil? Starting by the key isnt really my concern right now its just that its not starting from the starter still.

Thanks

#4 NewZed

NewZed

Clandestine Moderator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5125 posts
  • LocationWashington County, Oregon

Posted 06 March 2016 - 11:32 AM

the car seems to have some electrical issues i think seeing as no lights came on when i turn the key and it wouldn't even turn over by the key.

Bought new to me flat top carburetors and had them rebuilt by the shop i volunteer at

got new spark plugs, distributor cap, distributor rotor, point set, ignition condenser, air and fuel filter, and in pump fuel filter

I know its getting spark i checked by taking a spark plug out and making sure it did (arc was blue,

im pretty positive its getting fuel i can see it going up through the filter

the carburetors were just rebuilt so im sure thats not the problem

ive tried spraying carb spray in the carbs but to no avail

Did you lift the carb pistons when you sprayed the carb "spray"?  These carbs have two air obstructions, the butterfly valve and the suction piston.  And what is "spray", is it cleaner or starting fluid?

And did you check for gas in the float bowls?  The filter is quite a distance from the carbs.  Don't assume.

Also, engines that sit tend to dry out.  Squirt oil in the cylinders to help the rings seal so that they can draw air in and compress it.

Edited by NewZed, 06 March 2016 - 11:33 AM.

#5 beermanpete

beermanpete

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 631 posts
  • LocationNorthridge, CA

Posted 06 March 2016 - 02:24 PM

Have you checked:

Valve Clearance?

Compression?

Timing?

Firing Order?

Dwell and /or point gap?

Use ether (starting fluid) instead of carb cleaner, it lights easier and carb cleaner tends to foul the plugs.

To check for fuel in the carbs place a hand over the carb air-inlet while cranking. If fuel is present it will flood and get fuel on your hand.

Edited by beermanpete, 06 March 2016 - 02:27 PM.

#6 abratcher

abratcher

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • LocationEvans, GA

Posted 06 March 2016 - 04:10 PM

i have not checked Valve Clearance, timing, or compression yet beermanpete, im not that advanced  :D I'll ask the guys at the shop tomorrow to help me out with that.

ill also try lifting the suction piston as well as making sure the gas is getting to the carburetors tomorrow and get back to you guys

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: l24, wont start

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users