HybridZ
Sign in to follow this  
Poundz9oh9

Non Z related .. Tool shed material

You may be dealing with belt stretch from the original belt.

Make sure the crank mark is lined up where its supposed to be. I deal with mostly imports and they have reference marks on the belt as well as the engine..

I would install the new belt lined up as close as you can get it, rotate the engine by hand a few times. If its all good put it back together and run it.. :)

Edited by dexter72

So here's the issue, there's no way to line the timing marks up properly .. Either the cams line up or the crank, but not all 3 together as they should ....

Note: if I rotate the crank 360° the cam timing marks are nowhere near where they should be .. This is as close as it gets .. Just has me scratching my head. Am I on the right track? I just don't want to kill it, it's an interference engine.

If I rotate the crank by hand after the new belt is on and nothing hits (to confirm) I should be ok correct? (as long as all the timing marks stayed in the same place)

. ironically enough It appears to be EXACTLY one tooth difference ... Random tidbit .. No reference mark on the stock GM/Daewoo belt, or the Gates replacement .. Thanks man

Not sure exactly what you're doing, it seems like you might be looking at your old belt wondering why the marks are off.  I'd guess that the last guy installed the belt wrong.  We talk about cam timing all the time on this site.  There's a lot of room before and after spec. that will let an engine run, just moves the power curve around, mainly.

Just remove the belt, rotate the crankshaft one tooth, and put it back together.

The 360 degree problem is because there are two TDC's - one for the combustion stroke and one for the exhaust stroke.  4 cycles.

Sign in to follow this