HybridZ

Adjusting Camber with Adjustable Plates Installed

Howdy-

My 240Z racecar came with adjustable camber plates on all 4 strut towers.  The front wheels are splayed all the way out (max negative camber) as the car has not been finished and final adjustments made. It came shipped this way. It is hard to steer and move so I want to decrease the camber a bit to make it mobile and then adjust next for the track.

With the wheels off the ground, I loosened up the 3 bolts on the front struts and thought I would be able to move the struts easily to decrease the negative camber. But they don't move at all.  Before I start hammering on this here and there, does the strut top bolt need to be loosened as well?  Has a set of coilovers underneath. Or is there something else I should be doing to get them to move freely?

I don't want to damage anything trying to get these to move, so any advice is appreciated.

Thx 

You have to realize the forces at play here. There's no way you're going to loosen up the camber plates and just push the struts out to decrease camber with the weight of the car on the struts. Raise the front end of the car and then give it another try.

BTW, it's probably toe and not camber that's making the car difficult to move...

You have to realize the forces at play here. There's no way you're going to loosen up the camber plates and just push the struts out to decrease camber with the weight of the car on the struts. Raise the front end of the car and then give it another try.

BTW, it's probably toe and not camber that's making the car difficult to move...

As I said in the post, I tried it with the wheels off the ground.  Will try the other way as suggested by JMortensen.  

Camber wont have any effect on how hard it is to move or steer unless adjusting the camber also adjusts the caster. If the steering is really heavy it's almost certainly caster to blame and it's probably like that for a reason as it is set up to perform on the track. Higher caster and a heavier steering feel and self-centering effect are beneficial on track (to a certain extent) but make the car much harder to turn at low speeds like pushing it around a shop. If it's hard to move forward/backward in a straight line than that may be toe, but it would have to have a lot of toe out/in to cause that much effect, much more than a normal race car should have. Now this does nothing to answer your question on how to adjust the camber on your car but hopefully it sheds some light on the mobility issue. Other than that, as others have mentioned we would need to know what type of camber plates you have to help with that.