HybridZ

1975 280z fuel pump/power relay resistor

Help! I can't afford a $130 relay at the moment as I'm currently in college and trying to get my girl on the road to move to Oregon with me. I have a 240z with an L28 and 4 screw carbs, just couldn't get them to function properly so decided to swap the engine back to fuel injected. I bought a "complete" kit from someone off craigslist, the harness had wires cut and was missing a larger return line, ballast resistors and the fuel injection relay. Purchased the resistors, studied the sh*t out of the wiring diagram, more than I study for my classes (mechanical engineering btw) repaired the harness although I do need to buy a harness repair kit because the connectors are crap. But here is my problem, I hope the pictures work, coming from the air flow meter pump contacts there is a resistor, can anyone tell me what resistor I need.

post-44280-0-74827900-1457647100_thumb.png

I'm going to guess it's just there for surge protection (flyback?) back through the AFM contacts when the start signal comes through.  But I'm just guessing, no formal training.  Here's a picture of the resistor inside the relay,1976 version (I had a broken one handy). 

I'll let you fconfirm the color code, I've forgotten what I never really memorized.  The diagram is from the 1975 FSM Engine Fuel chapter.

Edit - the internet makes things too easy...  Digikey color codes.  About 3 ohms, if my eye reads the colors right.  Not much.

post-8864-0-51095400-1457659092_thumb.png

post-8864-0-52266100-1457659153_thumb.png

post-8864-0-77869000-1457659737_thumb.png

Edited by NewZed

I'll see if I can figure it out but it's a tight fit and I don't have the urge to take things apart right now.  In the meantime, you might just consider getting a typical Bosch relay with the diode already spec'ed and built in.  They're very common.  They even mold or print a diagram on the case, showing either a diode or a resistor or neither.  I'm sure one of those would do the job and save you some time.

http://www.bcae1.com/relays.htm

post-8864-0-54046200-1457670150_thumb.png