HybridZ

Help me buy a transmission jack

RebekahsZ

I'm looking at transmission lifts to use with my 2-post lift.  I want one that is foot operated so I can keep my hands on the tranny guiding it down.  I also want one that has a 2-axis tilting mechanism.  These lifts cost between 400-700 dollars.  I found one that has those qualities but is also air/hydraulic operated to speed raising the jack (it takes a lot of foot pumping to get these all the way up.  Does anybody know if these air/hydraulic units can be also used WITHOUT air?  Aka, in the hydraulic-only mode?  I want to be able to use the jack even if air isn't available.  Any other pointers?  The jack I'm looking at is at Greg Smith model HTTL6200.  Thanks for any advise!

When you said the word "annoying" I ran the other way.  I just ordered the air-assisted foot-controlled unit sold by Greg Smith Equipment for $575+truck freight.  Hard to believe, but I hope to design the next front diff mounting system for the long-nose R200 to superceed the RT mount.  Goal is to allow swapping a diff as fast as possible.  So, I will be using it a LOT.   Then, once the new mount is designed, I hope to use it to allow me to rapidly swap between a 3.54, 3.36 and 3.18 ratio R200 CLSD, for drag, autocross and landspeed, respectively.

A cool thing my friends brother did with his 2 post lift was build a table that was the width of the lift, and fit over the legs to sort of lock it in. Now he has a big table he can lay flat against the wall when not in use, and when he needs it, he uses it for a big table for crawfish boils, and an adjustable height work table when he needs that. Good place to spray paint small parts, etc.

That IS cool! 

Well, the shipping estimate for the air assisted transmission jack came in from Greg Smith and was a wopping $150 shipping, and they wanted me to have a forklift to meet the truck; so I scrapped that plan.  I wound up getting a Ranger RTJ-1 1-ton trans jack, which is not air-assisted, but what the heck, I need the excercise.  Cheaper and will come from Summitracing.com next week.  With the money I saved I went ahead and got a Sunnex Fuel Tank Adapter to attach to my transmission jack to make removal and installation of my fuel tank (an awful job) easier, I hope.  Now if I can go back to 1972 and get the Nissan engineers to make that rubber fuel filler hose 3/4" longer....    I need to pull the tank from the blue car to allow fabrication of the chute mount and I need to have the tank modified for a second fuel pump.  I freakin' hate dropping that tank, so hopefully this will function as advertised and make that job a lot easier.  

I just re-established contact with the discount MDF custom cabinet maker I used to cabinet-up the garage on the house, so designing the cabinets is next.  Along with ordering the air compressor; laying out my compressed air manifold will have to wait until the cabinets are done.  It looks like I will be getting the BelAire 7.5, 80gal compressor with the sound cover on the compressor assembly.  Supposed to be only 69dB.  Working with TonyD as advisor for all the air accessories like dryers and filters.  He's been very generous with good advice, and I'm thankful for that.  I'm all rested up at the beach (I was about to f-ing drop before this vacation) and I'm getting fired up about Z-cars again!