HybridZ

Finished building a rotisserie today

auxilary

7jmzw1S.jpg

RhJEu9n.jpg

PzKXZGz.jpg

Well, my friend Mat and I designed/cut it and Mat did all the welding since I don't trust my welding skills to save my life. It's about 95% complete and once I get it home I'll put finishing touches on it, like mounting holes and a cross brace that'll run alongside the radiator support to box the front end in. Total cost was $70 worth of engine stands, probably $100 worth of steel and bits, and $40 or so in casters (maybe more. Mat had them lying around and gave them to me). Measurements and design was borrowed from jrmortensen. Only took me 5 years to get around to building it.

I'll probably post an update once the car's actually up in the air (in another 5 years!)

Oh, and the 914 in the back is receiving a subaru wrx turbo motor

Edited by auxilary

Love it! I bought an expensive pre made rotisserie after an exhausting search for a used one came up with nothing. It worked great and got lucky by trading it for a predetermined amout of professional welding/fab work after I was finished with it. If I was to ever have a need again, I would follow your build. Please show progress with the 914 build, I am a huge fan and wish I had the funds/space/time to build that along with my Z.

Edited by Nelsonian

Looks good. Once you have it up, tieing the front and back together makes it feel a lot sturdier when moving it around. Even a simple doug fir 2x4 bolted to the bottom tube would be fine.

Speaking of getting the car up in the air, do you have a plan for that yet? When I did mine, I used an engine hoist in the front (which worked great) and come alongs in the back (which was kinda sketchy). I think I'm gonna find someone to loan me another engine hoist, so I can just use one on each end.  

Agreed on tie-in! Planning on doing just that, Mat and I discussed it during the build.

JoeK: I am in the same boat as you with the hoist situation. I want to use 2 hoists on the car. Since you're local, I can loan you my hoist (and help you with it) so you have 2 to get the car off/on, and I can use yours to get mine up in the air. Downside is that I don't have a truck, but if you do, this can be simplified quickly. Shoot me a PM if you're interested.

Regarding the 914, 

He picked up a bare shell for almost nothing. No bodywork, engine, etc. Just a box of suspension parts and rust. Cage and floor pans are welded in for the most part, he's working on suspension and engine mounts now,  It's receiving a Subaru wrx motor that you can see in front of the car in one of the pics

YkKqRAK.jpg

GhXCR3h.jpg

dFdRBpJh.jpg

F3jQDbT.jpg

h2kNmoCh.jpg

He and his brother also swapped an STI motor into a 912. The full build thread is here:

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-911-technical-forum/488187-help-me-style-beat-up-old-912-a.html

XbENR0a.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Huge thanks for JoeK, he came down with his hoist and we got the car up:

vkxIQEHh.jpg

Now i'm taking a breather from pulling the rest of the stuff off it. Still need to get a piece to tie the lower portion together as mentioned earlier by Joe and belated johnc

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I think it is time get serious and build one of these. Currently my Z has metal square tube instead of bumpers resting on top of a ghetto jig/ $10 Weider bench press and  biggest jack stands we have.

My dad demands I rotate it, to weld in support rails to the new floor.

It looks simple enough and for around $300 It will be a great investment.