HybridZ

Stock tach gauge wiring? Resistor needed? N/A 280ZX.

Manya

Hi all,

Finally got my N/A 280zx up and running with my megasquirt 2 with wasted spark. Initial setup is great, coupled with a 60mm throttle body, the tourqe has increased dramatically.

Anyway, my only last bit of wiring I'm stumped on is trying to get the stock tacho meter working. There doesn't seem to be a whole lot of info on this but if anyone has an idea, I'm assuming I'll need a resistor inline with 12v to boost the signal but I am really not that sure.

This is what I had to do to make my 77 280z tach work.

Since the tach was originally driven off the negative of the coil, through a resistor, you need the voltage spike assoicated with the coil firing.   I did something similar to what is posted here http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=131&t=37816

I think this is close to what I did.  The diagram I followed was for a toyota I believe (and was labeled as such) but it worked mostly fine with the stock tach (showed about 300rpm higher than what it really was at low rpm, seemed pretty accurate 2000+).

Edited by Chris83zxt