HybridZ

Reverse mount starter bellhousing, anyone running one?

1969honda

I'm working on a Nissan VK56 swap in my '71 and have recently been leaning towards running a 4 speed ST10/Muncie/Gforce style transmission. Intended use of the car is for weekend rod runs, light to light racing and car shows, not really cruising it or autocross.

The attraction to the reverse mount is it would move the starter out of the valley and open up more room for an intercooler :) (read Eaton m122/tvs2300/Whipple). I haven't been able to find any good dimensions on the bellhousings out there or pictures of one installed on an s30. Is anyone running one in their car? I know the 7.25 clutches will be harsh and I plan to contact Quarter Masters about options but would like to figure out if the bellhousing will even fit before bothering MFGs.

Edited by 1969honda

The bellhousing will fit based on my LS version that has a rear mount starter.  You will need to cut into the tunnel to make clearance.  My bellhousing took some hammer work to get the top to fit and the aforementioned starter clearance hole.  For your clutch look at using a rally version (cerametallic that's thicker).  Those are still severe but can be slipped a little.  

Cary