HybridZ

Would you use an asbestos intake/exhaust gasket?

jeffer949

Asbestos gasket?   

14 members have voted

1. 1. Would you use it?

• Yes
    • No
    • Your an idiot for thinking about it :)

So my uncle, my dad and myself where going through my grandpas garage last weekend as they are getting the house ready for sale as they are in a retirement home now. So we are cleaning and divining up tools and what not and my dad pulls a box down from the rafters filled with old gaskets. Some from his jet boat he built in high school and many from his Z's back in the 70's when he had a new 260 and a few 280's. The gasket that has me curious is an asbestos intake/exhaust gasket with some metal reinforcement on the intake I believe, Maybe it was the exhaust I'm not sure.  I know the health concerns related to it and if it was broken down at all I wouldn't consider it at all but its in perfect shape. I've always had issues with exhaust leaks on my turbo manifold with felpro gaskets. I guess my question is would you use it or just toss it because of the material? 

I have a feeling the asbestos gaskets don't pose as much risk as an entire building full of asbestos. I imagine it's like grinding thoriated electrodes: Wear the right PPE when handling it, don't worry otherwise.

So in this case, don't grind and breathe the dust in. Wear gloves--maybe.

Disclaimer: I have no clue what I am talking about.

Personally I wouldn't use it, throw it out and forget about it. Lets say in the future you get some type of lung sickness. You will be wondering about possible contributing factors. Why risk it ? That's my take anyway.

Asbestos is still used in developing countries and while its a carcinogen you shouldn't fear a single gaskets worth of material.  Essentially you want to avoid shredding asbestos into any type of dust so that your dont inhale it.  In fact according to asbestos.com using asbestos as a gasket is still totally legal in the US.  Despite the carcinogens your actual question is "Should I use this old petrified gasket we found at my grandpas house?" and the answer to that is no just buy a new gasket

• 2 weeks later...

I actually have my asbestos abatement certificate in CA . Unless the gasket has material that becomes atomized, the technical term is fryable.It is not harmful, however once the material is handled the fibers can become fryable.That said, your exhaust manifold is most likely warped , check it with s straight edge . Putting an asbestos gasket on a warped manifold would have a tendency to distribute asbestos fibers.

But that's why you soak them in water: to make the old hard asbestos gaskets conformable...

Water is a vital part of keeping asbestos fibers from becoming atomized while performing abatement, and to ensure seating of asbestos gaskets. But with a warped manifold hot gasses will pass evaporating the moisture content and making the gasket fryable. 

This is less of an issue in old steam lines with asbestos gaskets due to moisture present, I have seen old asbestos gaskets become fryable when used to vent exhaust gases in enclosed (basement) generators if leaks develop on the sealing surfaces.

Pretty sure he meant conformable during the installation process.  And the word is friable.  Fryable means cookable.

Anybody working on an old car with original parts is probably looking at asbestos in brake pads and shoes, and clutch discs.  Much more of a worry than a static gasket clamped between two pieces of metal.

When I made the statement "and to ensure seating of asbestos gaskets"  it inferred the process of installation.

Spell check is usually my friend, I would also wonder how many 40 or even 30+ year old brake pads/ shoes , clutch discs  are still on regularly driven z cars. And yes I know depending on the country of origin that new brake pads, shoes and clutch discs can contain asbestos.

My main point is check the exhaust manifold to make sure it is not warped  as turbo manifolds have a habit of warping and blowing out gaskets. Some years ago  I had an exhaust manifold cut .010" to true it after relocating the turbo outlet and had the intake cut to match as the motor was in a street/ strip car with a somewhat mild 3 liter stroker turbo motor that turned into a real beast with an over 200 shot of N20 to the wheels and with a stock zxt gasket it never leaked.