HybridZ

Installed a Skillard splitter on my 280Z with Type 2 air dam

Savage42

The core support sitting higher on 240s than 280s should at most require 2 longer screws from your local hardware store to reach. all the forces on the splitter are pushing down so it doesn't have to sit flush with the core support just hanging from the core support should be fine. It looks like the turnbuckles are the main source of stability anyways. oh and I can confirm if you are running a xenon/urethane air damn you will need longer bolts for the core support as the flexible airdam does indeed seem to hang lower I have one on my car and I can confirm that the splitter fits although the front turnbuckle mounts contact the recessed portion of the xenon airdam inboard of the brake duct holes you can either slot the holes for the turn buckle mounts and move them aft or just live with the splitter hanging 1mm lower than it should at the very front.

Edited by Cheesymamba

• 1 month later...

Ben at Skilled just announced that he has developed a splitter designed specifically for the Type 2 air dam - thanks for getting the ball rolling Gary.  He has a group buy currently in progress so, if you have a type 2 air dam and want one of these splitters, now is the time to jump on it.

I too have the Skillard splitter and working on fitting it to my 73.  I've been in contact with Ben for awhile providing feedback [as I believe he wasn't initially aware of the 240-260-280 differences] and to make it more challenging I have a Kaminari air dam which is deeper and wider.  Instead of purchasing longer bolts to reach the radiator lower support holes I'm going to make some stand off brackets which should provide greater stability, strength and ease of mounting [found the long bolts were not so easy to thread in].  Some modification to the turnbuckle locations and the splitter isn't quite wide enough for the Kaminari so Ben has agreed to make me some 'extensions' which I'll either bolt or weld on - haven't decided yet.  Anyway, ChumpCar racing, my 72 Fairlady Z restoration, work, family, vacation and HPDE's all seem to be taking time away from the splitter...

Not to beat a dead horse but...... As I continue to examine the core support height, I believe the 280's support sits lower than the 240. My core support is darn near the same height as the bottom of my turn signal lenses. If you drop a 280 radiator into a 240, it will sit lower than the 240 core support as well. Sorry if I'm jacking your thread..... Your install and car look great/inspiring, just trying to clarify attempted use of that splitter on a 240Z. Thanks and good luck at the track. Jim

• 1 month later...