HybridZ

Turn signal/electrical problem - Please help!

Hey guys,

Own a 1976 280z with a swapped 1978 280z L28 in it. When I purchased the car the P.O advised that the turn signal did not operate. After just recently completing the swap and getting my car running, I decided to attack the turn signal issue.

At the time, the signal was clearly dirty and operated sloppy. No indicator on the dash nor did any of the lights work when you tried to use it. I found the write up online on how to clean and adjust it and did so. I was able to make it look and operate flawlessly. I have perfect ohm readings between all connections when table tested. I then reinstalled it into the vehicle, this is the odd part. I now get complete functionality of my right turn signal but not the left. When I press it into the left, it triggers the relay, blinks twice and stays solid. The dash indicator works for both sides. I thought maybe I repaired it incorrectly, but decided to test a jumper wire instead. I jumped the connector for the turn signal where it meets the "harness".  When I use a jumper wire and jump the right turn signal, it operates perfectly. When I jump the left turn signal it does exactly what it does at the switch. I believe that eliminates it being a bad turn signal switch? Any ideas on where to look next? Would a bad relay work for one side and not the other?

Only additional weird thing I found was that my hazard switch works fine until I put the key in the on or run position, then it shuts off and my blinkers only work when the car is on the run position.

Hope that made sense! Thanks ahead of time!

Just a guess: I think that the flasher needs a certain amount of current (heat) to actuate.  You might have low current.  Your right side is probably not very bright, maybe just needs a cleaning.  Bad ground maybe.  Or bad contacts in the Hazard switch.  Power runs through the Hazard switch  on the way to the switch and lights.  Check Body Electrical for an easy to understand wiring diagram.

SOLVED

Although all lights flashed and illuminated, all it needed was a new front turn signal bulb. Works like a charm now. Thanks for the help.

Just FYI - that behavior is by design and was intended to alert you to the fact that you have a bad bulb. :mrgreen:

Edited by TimZ