HybridZ

LS1 lifters & oil pump

Some of you know that I drove from upstate NY to Memphis last summer with my son Alan to attend ZCON 2015.  During my first session lapping at MIR a lifter collapsed.  We fiddled a bit with it and it eventually corrected itself but I drove gingerly in order to ensure I could drive it home.

Arrival home ok and dropped it to have the lifters/guides replaced & upgraded to LS7 as I've read the stock LS1 lifters are prone to failure [part of my ongoing quest to make the LS1 more durable],  I also had them install ARP head studs and new head gaskets.

Fast forward to last week; Z now out of winter hibernation, initial startup and all my lifers are talking and zero oil pressure. Shut it down, check oil [i change my oil each fall prior to storage] which is good, restart and after about 5 seconds [feels like forever] my oil pressure climbs to 25 and lifters are quiet.

Long story short I drop it to the shop again and they determine that the oil pump is not supplying sufficient pressure.  When I first did the swap I had the oil pump inlet & outlets ported for better flow.  They also installed a new cam retainer plate [while in there].  Now I have instant and higher oil pressure at startup as well as better pressure at higher RPM's.

Other upgrades for reliability & durability: double row timing chain, oil catch can/separator.

Edited by 1 tuff z

Looked at my receipt again, they're LS7 lifters/guides [edited my post too], thanks for the reminder.

Good to hear you got it all sorted out. For future reference, all LS blocks can use LS7 lifters/trays and is what a dealership will swap them for.