HybridZ

RIP John Coffey (johnc)

rags

Sad to hear.  In my early days getting to know the Z I know John helped answer several questions.  And even if he didn't address me directly his intellect and input on many technical issues was of immense help in repairing/improving my car.  I know many share the same sentiment. 

He will definitely be missed.  

Said day. He was one of the first people I noticed throughout forums when I first got really into Z cars in my early teens. He was among a few in the forums I hoped to meet in person someday after first buying my Z and beginning the whole project.

Prayers go out to his family. He made a big impact in the community. 

Anybody know about funeral arrangements? Family? I'm thinking about sending a really nice floral arrangement. I'm heading to CA in June and was planning a stop to Benton to see him. Very stunned. I've talked with him many times and was really looking forward to more.... If anybody heard of anything, please text me at 256-366-4685 so I can get on it.

I am very saddened to hear of this news as well. I have a lot of gratitude for several members on here who have in one way or another helped me or better yet helped the HybridZ community at large, and John C was at the top of that list. Rest in peace and soooo many thanks for all you did for soooo many here.

I thoroughly enjoyed reading any of his replies, and will continue to as I search through the archives. Safe to say he's taught me a majority of what I know now about Datsuns and performance / fabrication in general since I first started visiting this site back in 2001. My heart literally sank as I saw the title of this thread. He's pretty much the only forum member I planned to visit on my first trip to Cali in one of my datsuns so I could thank him personally for all the help and advice he's volunteered over the years...now I feel terrible for not doing it sooner. Geez, just so sad

Very sad to hear this news, the Z world and the racing world have lost a treasure. Whenever I saw a post by John I stopped to take note, and always got a kick out of reading old SoCal bench racing stories about his Z. Sending my thoughts to his friends and family. Rest in peace John, we miss you down here. 

Anybody know about funeral arrangements? Family? I'm thinking about sending a really nice floral arrangement. I'm heading to CA in June and was planning a stop to Benton to see him. Very stunned. I've talked with him many times and was really looking forward to more.... If anybody heard of anything, please text me at 256-366-4685 so I can get on it.

The Benton Performance guys are having a memorial meetup on May 7th at their shop (details are on their instagram page). I'm sure they would be able to point you in the right direction for further gestures. 

Just speechless.  Class A person all around.  We lost a legend in the community.  One of our Icons.  He literally built my car...coil-over suspension, flares, LSD, seam welded, roll cage, sub frame connectors, reinforced sway bar mounts, modified trans tunnel, and my/his masterpiece, the original 2JZ engine cradle I commissioned him to make for my car and he went on to sell to a few others.  One of the last ones maybe before he left to Benton.

Wow.  Prayers to his family.  Wow.  2nd friend to pass in one week.  

John was a true car guy, true racer, and genuine to the core.  I have been on this forum since its early inception and I remember John as one of the first guys that "put it all out there" to help his fellow car friends on the forum (and many outside of it).  I totally admired his level-headed approach to everything and also his vast knowledge of what things will actually work on the Z.  He could temper his "matter-of-fact" comments in posts in such a way that those who read it came away feeling like they had to agree with him or remain steadfast in naiveté and ignorance, but without offense.  He was always helpful and his contributions in the forum are innumerous.

Auxilary called me the other night to let me know of John's tragic passing.  I am truly saddened to hear of news and my prayers go out to his family and friends, especially his wife, who feel the pain of his death.   He is one person that I met only a couple of times, emailed a few times, and whose comments I read often, but one whom I will miss having on this earth because of his positive influence to the greater good of the racing community.  Miss ya.  RIP John Coffey.

From John's Wall Through the shop:

A Celebration of Life

John Robert Coffey

Please join us at 12 o’clock noon
On Saturday, May 7, 2016

To share stories, laughter and memories.

Waterfront Hilton Hotel
21100 Pacific Coast Highway
Huntington Beach, CA 92648

Tides Ballroom – Casual Attire

RSVP TiaMarie Harrison
tiamaries@msn.com or in comments below.

Tragic indeed.  Did not know John personally, but I can attest he was one of the few truly knowledgeable, helpful, and insightful contributors to this forum.  Not many people "get it", but John did.  A great great loss for the Hybrid community. I took for granted that his response was always there, with just a few hours delay, for so many years.

RIP John.Sorry to say I never met him in person, I did get to exchange some highly technical PM'S relating to road race/track cars though.I started working on cars at the age of 6 (50 years ago) and I would openly admit that John knew more than I ever will.I would log into Hybrid Z just to check out his remarks when he sent some newbs post to the basement.Will some body be able to step up and explain why an import car doesnt need -10 degrees of camber in the back wheels like John did ?