HybridZ
rags

RIP John Coffey (johnc)

Just speechless.  Class A person all around.  We lost a legend in the community.  One of our Icons.  He literally built my car...coil-over suspension, flares, LSD, seam welded, roll cage, sub frame connectors, reinforced sway bar mounts, modified trans tunnel, and my/his masterpiece, the original 2JZ engine cradle I commissioned him to make for my car and he went on to sell to a few others.  One of the last ones maybe before he left to Benton.

Wow.  Prayers to his family.  Wow.  2nd friend to pass in one week.  

John was a true car guy, true racer, and genuine to the core.  I have been on this forum since its early inception and I remember John as one of the first guys that "put it all out there" to help his fellow car friends on the forum (and many outside of it).  I totally admired his level-headed approach to everything and also his vast knowledge of what things will actually work on the Z.  He could temper his "matter-of-fact" comments in posts in such a way that those who read it came away feeling like they had to agree with him or remain steadfast in naiveté and ignorance, but without offense.  He was always helpful and his contributions in the forum are innumerous.

Auxilary called me the other night to let me know of John's tragic passing.  I am truly saddened to hear of news and my prayers go out to his family and friends, especially his wife, who feel the pain of his death.   He is one person that I met only a couple of times, emailed a few times, and whose comments I read often, but one whom I will miss having on this earth because of his positive influence to the greater good of the racing community.  Miss ya.  RIP John Coffey.

From John's Wall Through the shop:

A Celebration of Life

John Robert Coffey

Please join us at 12 o’clock noon
On Saturday, May 7, 2016

To share stories, laughter and memories.

Waterfront Hilton Hotel
21100 Pacific Coast Highway
Huntington Beach, CA 92648

Tides Ballroom – Casual Attire

RSVP TiaMarie Harrison
[email protected] or in comments below.

Tragic indeed.  Did not know John personally, but I can attest he was one of the few truly knowledgeable, helpful, and insightful contributors to this forum.  Not many people "get it", but John did.  A great great loss for the Hybrid community. I took for granted that his response was always there, with just a few hours delay, for so many years.

RIP John.Sorry to say I never met him in person, I did get to exchange some highly technical PM'S relating to road race/track cars though.I started working on cars at the age of 6 (50 years ago) and I would openly admit that John knew more than I ever will.I would log into Hybrid Z just to check out his remarks when he sent some newbs post to the basement.Will some body be able to step up and explain why an import car doesnt need -10 degrees of camber in the back wheels like John did ?

Wow....just wow!

I knew John pretty well and worked with him on both car and non-auto fabrication projects over the years......a genuinely good dude....I will find my life a little emptier now......

From John's Wall Through the shop:

A Celebration of Life

John Robert Coffey

Please join us at 12 o’clock noon

On Saturday, May 7, 2016

To share stories, laughter and memories.

Waterfront Hilton Hotel

21100 Pacific Coast Highway

Huntington Beach, CA 92648

Tides Ballroom – Casual Attire

RSVP TiaMarie Harrison

[email protected] or in comments below.

Thanks for that Mike.

It looks like I will miss this by three days, not leaving Saigon here until the 5 or 6th and my prebought ticket stateside is the 10th (for Mom and Dad's Funeral.)

Miles, any links to articles or obits would be appreciated. The search engine here in Uncle Ho's Worker's Paradise aren't helping me find much. current information.

Edited by Tony D

Sounds like he high sided when he tried to get back in his lane.  I sold my motorcycle in 2014 after 30 years riding motorcycles on public roads.  I don't miss it and I have a sense of concern for everyone in my circle of family and friends who do.  If it's not the distracted idiots, it's avoiding road debris, animals, or being caught by Darwin while being human.  All that said, It sounds very much like john died doing what he enjoyed doing, and that is all that most of us would hope for. 

For the guys who know him better:  What would you think of memorializing johnc with an annual scholarship for the cost of ZCON track day tuition, starting in 2017?  It could be called "The Hybridz John Coffey Memorial ZCON Scholarship."  I could be in charge of collecting the money and starting a thread each year to take nominations and votes.

• Like 2