HybridZ

Vk56 in z32 project (advice welcomed)

Hey Guys, 

First off Big fan of the forum and all the awesome projects everyone does on here. I've been a long time reader but figured with my recent swap about to start up I should finally make an account. I hoping to get some advice on my Vk56 in z32 swap as well as share what I do know, or will discover throughout this project. 

The Vehicle

1990 300zx 2 seater

The Engine 

VK56DE out of a 2011 Nissan Titan

Engine is getting a full tear down and inspection. Investing in a Master Gasket kit as well as new Water pump, Oil pump, Timing chain kit w/ guides (if needed), starter, and ARP Headstuds.

Also plan on putting in some JWT cams and upgrading the Valvetrain before install.

I'm probably going to Fab up my own intake manifold to try and save some clearance under the hood. I could definitely use some advice here if anyone knows how much lower it needs to be to clear the hood. Trying to make the car look as clean/stock as possible from the outside.

The Transmission

z32 5-speed Transmission

Will be using an adapter plate provided by Collins Performance Technologies to mate the engine and transmission.

My Clutch and Flywheel options will be Z1motorsports 14 pound flywheel and "Performance Street" Clutch Kit. 

To make sure the starter and everything lines up, you have to switch to a 350z Flywheel and clutch, then you stack the Flywheel on top of the VK56 factory flexplate before bolting them it down. 

Engine Management

As far as ECU goes, I'll be using a Megasquirt 3 Pro w/ a custom wiring harness. I'll be using a Titan base map and spend the first couple of days tuning it on a Dynatech before it hits the streets. Looking forward to posting that dyno sheet someday lol.

Fitment/Fabrication

As far as I'm aware of, there isn't any motor mounts available for this swap (Please correct me if I'm wrong!) so I'll be custom welding up so mounts of my own. My goal is to make the engine sit as low as possible so I'll be factoring that in with their design, and the same goes for the Oil pan I'll have to build for it. Any input is gladly welcomed on this subject! 

Status

As far as my status on the project goes, I am still in the stage of prepping, planning, and collecting parts. I have the Z and I have the VK56DE already. I'm currently focused on tearing down the VK before anything else. As the project moves along I want to post updates as well as pictures. Just to note, this project will not be a fast one. I like to take my time and make sure things are right the first time, I also work like 55 hours a week so all the work will have to be done in small increments at a time lol. Looking forward to your guys comments and thanks ahead of time for your advice!   

Edited by Enzo8997

Update: 

I have solved my issue with the Flywheel. According to Collins Performance Tech. all I have to do is stack a 350z flywheel over the VK56 flexplate, and of course use a 350z clutch. The flexplate obviously lines up with the starter like it should but the benefit is it provides a bit of a spacer for the flywheel. Seems to make since to me. I'll obvious be test fitting it before installing everything in the car. 

Huge thanks to Brett over at Collins Performance Technologies! This guy emailed me back about my question in a matter of minutes! 

• 3 months later...

Hey I happened to notice you are trying this vk swap as well. I am about the same stage as you, have my motor and the car but still trying to find as much information as possible about anyone who has done this yet. My motors a little older (2005) so no VVT. Not sure it's going to change anything but it was pretty cheap at the time. I was thinking of doing the z32 tranny as well but did was not sure of the adapter situation for that tranny. Sounds like you have it all hammered out though. There is a website called Neos garage and he's fairly dedicated to the VK, he's also got a low clearance dry sump pan for these engines which could give us a chance of maybe fitting this motor under the hood. I was also going to go the route of making a custom intake to add more clearance, performanceVH has a set of billet aluminum intake runners that I think would be a great starting point. Good to hear the clutch and flywheel aren't too big of a problem to get through, I assumed keeping the starter was going to be harder than that as I hadn't come across the information that you just attach it to the stock flex plate. Initial measurements are showing this going to be a tight fit, but I think for the performance that can be had from these engines it's going to be worth it.

• 4 months later...

I've started to take on this task as well. Going w/ a 6 spd though. Trying to settle on clutch and flywheel. Sucks after as long as these engines have been out and pro drifters using this setup there aren't more options out there for direct bolt up options for certain parts. Stacking flywheel on flexplate seems kind of a lego way of doing it. Brickhouse products seems to have got a custom thicker flywheel from Spec clutches made. Looking into that option at the moment.

Also during one of the various searches for info I stumbled across, supposedly theres an infinity that has a slimmer oilpan. I'll try to refind that info.   

• 3 weeks later...

I am not certain but I do believe that swap kit was not for a Z32, please correct me if you know more because this would be of great assistance. I noticed brickhouse was building a custom fly wheel but that would also be spaced for their custom adapter plate as well. Been a little while since I was on their website, but I did not see a way to purchase these two items from them. I am curious however, how much that custom flywheel would be? I also would prefer not to have to stack the flexplate and flywheel, but could be a good temp solution.

Edit, will megasquirt run the VVT?

Edited by ConvertibleZ

My mistake, you are right about the McKinney kit being for the S30.

I actually talked with someone earlier this week that contacted brickhouse about the SPEC flywheel. He was told expect about $450 for the custom flywheel by itself and I believe he ordered one for a vk56 into an m45 he is doing. Brickhouse has been active lately on stanceworks. http://www.stanceworks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50721&page=4

My mistake, you are right about the McKinney kit being for the S30.

I actually talked with someone earlier this week that contacted brickhouse about the SPEC flywheel. He was told expect about $450 for the custom flywheel by itself and I believe he ordered one for a vk56 into an m45 he is doing. Brickhouse has been active lately on stanceworks. http://www.stanceworks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50721&page=4

I just recieved my flywheel from brickhouse (dropshipped from spec). Beautiful and light especially considering the thickness. It should work out well. Your right on price. Nice guys to deal with.

Although Now that i've got my entire drivetrain including engine management out of the way I look over at my 72 240 and wonder if the z32 can wait a little longer. Tough decision. What would you do? The only reason for the z32 would be I don't think its ever been done?

Either one will be a blast! I think the z32 had been done but not 100% sure. If you get the ARP head studs please share part numbers, also the Stillen two piece aluminum intake manifolds are still available thru stillen if you contact them directly, they are quite a bit shorter than the OEM manifold.

I've changed directions a little bit on my project, still going boosted at some point but for me I'm going to focus on building up a forged bottom end, adapt an LS1 cable throttle body to the stillen manifold and plan for turbos or centrifugal supercharger down the road. Machining costs for the TVS adapter plate and manifold modifications was more than a twin turbo setup or centrifugal would have cost by the time I fabbed up idlers, snout support, adapter plate, etc...

Either one will be a blast! I think the z32 had been done but not 100% sure. If you get the ARP head studs please share part numbers, also the Stillen two piece aluminum intake manifolds are still available thru stillen if you contact them directly. They are quite a bit shorter than the OEM manifold.

I've changed directions a little bit on my project, still going boosted at some point but for now I'm going to focus on building up a forged bottom end. I'll adapt an LS1 cable throttle body to the stillen manifold and plan for turbos or centrifugal supercharger down the road.

Machining costs for the TVS adapter plate and manifold modifications was more than a twin turbo setup or centrifugal would have cost by the time I fabbed up idlers, snout support, adapter plate, etc...

Also post some pictures of the new flywheel! Are you still using the Collins adapter, Z1 clutch disc and pressure plate setup or did you change when you ordered the flywheel?

Edited by 1969honda

What engine management are you using NOT? Also I am surprised as to the amount of people that are coming out the wood work. I guess its pretty up and coming for an engine, (in public swap use) and Isn't the rotating assembly already forged in these? I thought I read that in the white sheet? Also I was along the same thought process as you Honda, boost later but awesome NA for now. I was considering doing an intake style like the Z32 for the VK. Something like markrolstons on here. Not sure how to hyperlink, as it says I'm new here.  

http://forums.hybridz.org/topic/79649-progress-on-my-insane-vq35hr-240z-project/page-21

I see it does it for you.....

Edited by ConvertibleZ

• 1 month later...

Our VK 56 240z is running and driving...   We used VK56 auto bellhousing with Zfever adapter for 370z trans temp button clutch with hydro throwout bearing.   Link G4+ extreme ECU all factory sensors and ITB's . a custom aluminum oil pan , headers and other custom brackets .  need to get on the Dyno for final tuning.  Our other kits will follow soon..   april release of harness and modified stock computer for those who can use stock intake manifold to make thing simple.. New intake manifold aluminum for VK56  April or May.... S30 kit about same  time...

Mack McKinney

• 7 months later...
  • 2 years later...