HybridZ

Small chip on piston. Does this need to be replaced?

dpuma8

I am converting my 280Z N42 block over to turbo so that I can get my megasquirt tune down before I put in my $3500 L28et that a shop is making. While swapping the head to the P90 one, I noticed that piston #1 has a really small chip in it. Is this a big issue that needs to be replaced immediately or will it be fine for tuning purposes?

post-7714-0-89085400-1462170973_thumb.jpg

Edited by dpuma8

Kind of interesting, seems like something got into their and got smushed by the valve into the piston. As long as the valve isn't bent, and there are not any propagating cracks from the divot, I would probably just run it especially with another motor being built. Granted if something got in that was big enough to cause that kind of divot, I would be worried that the valve would be bent which would mean that any type of tune you do will potentially be off as the valve doesn't seal completely. 

Did you run a compression test before taking off the head?

I didn't run a compression test and the engine ran fine with my N47 head. I am just changing over to P90 and turboing it so I wasn't sure if this was a major issue while tuning. Thanks for the help!

I personally would rub it with some emery paper to take off any rough edges and run it. 

I agree - this won't hurt anything.  _DO_ smooth any rough edges as suggested, though.  Especially for a turbo, you don't want to give detonation a place to start when you can avoid it.

I had a SBC (vortec) that the valves got a little friendly with the pistons, left something similar but a little larger and on every piston. I used a scotch bright metal conditioning disc, lighting smoothed the rough edge and the proceeded to drive that short block for thousands of abusive miles, trouble free. I wouldn't sweat it. But if it makes you nervous, throw a piston in.