HybridZ

Advice/ recommendations for ls 240z

I just purchased a 240z and am looking for advice on the swap I'm planning to do. I was planning on either an ls1 or ls2 with a t56. Is there an advantage for one over the other when putting them in a Z? Also does the t56 fit or does a new bigger transmission tunnel have to be installed? Also I'm assuming it will have to probably be atleast built like stage 2 is that going to make it bigger at all? I was planning on putting a ford 9inch to back it up. I was planning on twincharging (super and turbo charge), I'm open to just supercharge or twinturbo I just don't know which I should do. My goal is 800+ hp and ft/lbs for a street and track car. I know I'll need frame strengthening and a new drive shaft along with the swap parts- mounts roll bar and wiring etc. I'm open to any suggestions really on engine transmission and upgrades to it. I just want to get into track racing as I start college but the car still be street legal.

Thanks

Each of your questions has so many variables associated with it that most people will not be inclined to answer them.  Search all of the FAQs and the forums first.

Searching is your best bet:

A t56 will fit the trans tunnel without modification yes. The turbo selection is really all on placement of the turbo. A precision 7675 is a small enough housing you do not have any issues fitting one of them. Biggest thing to remember is there is no such thing as a 100% plug and play for a z LS swap you will always be modifying, building, or just inventing something that will suit your swap needs. The easiest for wiring in my opinion is to buy all Holley LS stuff. Can get very expensive but will make life much easier. In the end you are putting an engine in a Datsun that when i was built never existed.

Head over to FB bunch of info over there on LS/TT set ups.

I applaude your effort to:

Build a daily driver with 800 HP, backed up by a Ford 9" for drag racing and wanting to get into track racing as you start college. 

Also what is this stage II you are talking about?  Transmissions?  I've never seen a T-56 grow larger. To make the trans fit you have to hammer the tunnel, not install a new one.

Mods!!!

Shed this thing before I go overboard.

Don't go with 10-15 year old LS1 or LS2, jump straight to LS9. It's the stock motor in the ZR1 corvette and comes with a supercharger from factory. This already solves your twin charging problem. It's really easy from that point to just swap in a pair of turbos (mount one in front, one in the rear by the axle, more clearance), and you should be able to reliably push out close to 1200 rwhp.

LS9 will also fit with the stock hood, no modifications necessary and the t56 bolts right up to it since all GM components are interchangeable, and due to Corvette mounting, the adapters to bolt it to stock cross member are really easy to make. 

The Z's mouth is big enough to mount the intercooler as well, just use the stock vent openings in the radiator support to run 3" piping. You may have to trim a little bit to get it to fit correctly. 

Edited by auxilary

Don't go with 10-15 year old LS1 or LS2, jump straight to LS9. It's the stock motor in the ZR1 corvette and comes with a supercharger from factory. This already solves your twin charging problem. It's really easy from that point to just swap in a pair of turbos (mount one in front, one in the rear by the axle, more clearance), and you should be able to reliably push out close to 1200 rwhp.

LS9 will also fit with the stock hood, no modifications necessary and the t56 bolts right up to it since all GM components are interchangeable, and due to Corvette mounting, the adapters to bolt it to stock cross member are really easy to make. 

The Z's mouth is big enough to mount the intercooler as well, just use the stock vent openings in the radiator support to run 3" piping. You may have to trim a little bit to get it to fit correctly. 

Hey Aux,

You didn't mention the 9" Ford for the rear. You gonna fab a 4-link or just hook it to the stock suspension?

chris

I humbly entreat our moderators not to expunge this thread!  We need more whimsical material, especially as reminder of the "good old days" of battles between implacable purists and wide-eyed dreamers.  Besides, it's entirely possible that the originator of this thread is of the same age is our forum.  It's been a longstanding goal of mine, to engage in online conversation a person who wasn't yet born when this forum was started.

As for the original request for advice, I offer this:  if one finds oneself in a position where very general advice is needed, for very ambitious goals - then this implies that the advice is going to be wasted.  This holds whether in choosing a career-path, figuring out how to invest money, how to find a girlfriend, whether to buy a house, and so forth.  Advice makes sense when the challenge posed is incremental.  Just bought a 240Z?  Congratulations!  Those things are getting increasingly rare.  Rust?  Work on fixing that first.  How's that for unsolicited advice?

I guess I will just stay off this topic and figure out whether to go ls1 or ls2 and post stuff about it after completing the swap this summer and ask advice for the mods to the engines afterwards, since most of y'all aren't helpful and don't think I'll be able to do it.

There is a LS swap "facts not opinon" thread that will answer some questions..... Lots of searching from multiple sites helps..... There is really not "one" way to build "it" you just need to dive in and be flexible.  My build is my own with multiple ideas from multiple threads, people, and sites.  Welcome to the addiction. 

I recommend getting the engine/trans first and running it in the z to get a feel for stock LS power and fix all rust issues. Then figure out what turbo or super or even combo charging setup will fit with or without the hood installed and go from their. This way it'll be running faster and you won't lose interest on the project if funds come up short sometimes because life happens. Honestly twin turbo's on an LS will net your power goal easier than compounding boost and will be cheaper. Even a large single will do that number. I drove mine for 11k miles (2 years) before boosting it this winter. What's your budget? That will dictate a lot. I've seen LS Z's range from $5k total to over $65k total lol.

• 2 weeks later...

It can be very inspiring to build a car. I was at this point in January 2015. Do your searching and look at its of pics via Google. I found most all the info I needed Read build threads

I tend to go overboard a little on my builds but you are building a car kinda from scratch. You'll be cutting the whole back area open, adding frame rails and suspension. Cage work and motor install. It's best to work backwards to get good driveline angles, meaning getting the axle and tires at ride hight and building from there

For reference I spent about 25 weeks building my setup at about 30 hours per week, so about 700 hours from start to driving good. It takes time to do it right, but doing it right is the name of the game. You can look at my project pics in the Project Rex Killer thread

Just put a jet turbine in there, I see it get done all the time with these cars. On another topic are you like 16 or something? When you want to come back to reality you may want to begin looking at what people actually do to these cars in other posts. Also I hope you have $50k handy for your dreams.