HybridZ

spark plug smashed in?

got a 73 240z with the l24 and triple webers. changed the spark plugs last night and found that the number 6 spark plug was smashed in and also very wet. im still trying to get the carbs dialed in and the timing was done by ear. the car runs good at idle but sputters and backfires a lot when you get on it.

I would say that the plug being really wet when you pulled it is because the cylinder is not firing due to there not being sufficient gap on the plug.  You said it runs good at idle.  Is this after you changed the plug, or have you not run it with a new set of plugs?  Were you the one that installed the last set of plugs?  If you are, and you are sure they were gaped properly before putting them in, then there was obviously something inside the cylinder that hit and smashed the plug.  Being as your plugs do not move at all, I would say there was either a foreign object in the cylinder, the plug was smashed before it got installed, or if that plug was somehow longer than the others (wrong plug maybe) then it protruded too far into the cylinder and the piston smashed it when it was at the top of its stroke.  

no it idled pretty well (surprisingly) with both sets of plugs and i made sure they were gaped right both times. after. changing the plugs and test driving it i pulled that same plug out and its wet with fuel. it doesnt sound like anything is wrong other than back firing and sputtering. no clunking or anything like that

iv attached a photo of the old plug

post-21780-0-05921100-1462831810_thumb.jpg

maybe it could be a bad wire or something in the ignition? seeing as its only that one plug. i just hope nothing is bad internally.

Nope - sorry.   Damage like that is not likely caused by an ignition issue.  Something made physical contact with the plug.  Period.  Could be that something got ingested into the engine and has subsequently left the engine, or something is wrong in that cylinder.  I had similar damage when I had a valve seat become unseated - it was held captive by the valve and then popped back into the seat, so it was hard to figure out at first.

The new plug is not smashed. Just put a bore scope in there and didn't see anything. But Im still getting fuel on the end of plug so what's next valves?

Are you sure it's fuel?  Not oil?  Or oil and fuel?  If you have good rings, the cylinder should be getting the same amount of fuel as the others, it's blended at the carbs..  A wet plug could either be a misfire or it's not just fuel, it's oil and fuel, and the oil is causing some misfires.

Fuel will dry off pretty quickly, oil won't.

Edited by NewZed

I know it's fuel and not oil. And I put a bore scope in there to check out whats in there and everything looks fine now so whatever was in there must be gone now. Because the new spark plug is getting covered in fuel I was hoping that was just an ignition problem but found no issues with that. I did a compression and number 6 had no compression soo yeah. Fun stuff

Finally got around to doing a leak down test and survey says bad exhaust valve. Is there a good reference to removing the head? I'm no expert but I wanna try it myself. I have a Haynes manual but is there anything better?

Edited by endofzworld