HybridZ

megasquirt? Please help.

Austing

I'm wanting to put megasquirt in my 83 280zx but the tech at diyautotune didn't help but try to sell me things I don't think I'll even use like jimstim and such but I'm very lost I know how to solder and such so I know how to read a diagram and set it up but do I need anything more than megasquirt and harness.. I mean what about for transmission do I need the add on or is that something you code for.. I'm just lost and I need some help.. I've decided on megasquirt 2 btw or what about even using micro squirt? In parallel with the stock ecu? Already showing how lost I am.

. I mean what about for transmission do I need the add on or is that something you code for.. 

Avoid thought processes that lead to random collections of words.  Good that you mentioned that you talked to someone at DIY, but have you looked anywhere else?  You know how to solder and read a diagram.  What else?  Seriously, you're not showing what your level of knowledge is.  Do you know how the stock system works?  Understanding the stock system, by reading the FSM will help you out a lot.  The same basic principles apply.

Have you looked through the FAQ's?  Good reading there also.  http://forums.hybridz.org/forum/93-megasquirt/

I'd say by listening to your question you have more learning to do . They probably recommended the SlimJim based on your knowledge . Did I use one- no- but spend days and days studying and Reading MS manuals . Because you know how to solder you can put a circuit board together ?

And please use punctuation when posting so we can understand you.

No I'm just getting the complete kit. And I'm talking about soldering for connecting the wires to the fuel and ignition. And no I looked on other megasquirt for putting it in 280zx because I had specific questions that didn't relate to other cars using the set up. I want to use the stock ecu for the transmission if it's easier that way and cheaper than getting the transmission controller. Unless there's an alternative besides using the one offered by diyautotune. What about micro squirt? I can't find anyone on putting that in their z. Would that be a easier or just go ahead and get the megasquirt 2 or 1.

Also I read your install that helped out on some areas but is the ms3x the same set up as using the ms1 or 2. And I'm sure you would know but have you heard anyone doing manual switches for launch. Like have a switch for the fuel pump and the starter or powering the megasquirt itself the module etc do you tie the switch in the input wires or the output wires If it's even possible to set up that. I want to use raspberry pi for the module and tuning and the reason for using manual switches is because I want to run a kill sequence switch and a launch button to start the car hence the sequence so no one else can start it.

Don't know if I can help you with your specific questions - especially the transmission . I thought the zx trans were all vacuum controlled , no ECU control, so that shows you what I know-lol.

I think most of the platforms are the same with the MS units, I think any MS would be better than stock ECU.

I actually used some of the relays and such from a ZXT for my MS install.

All I can say is that when you think you've read enough about MS , go back and read more

And I'm talking about soldering for connecting the wires to the fuel and ignition.

want to use the stock ecu for the transmission if it's easier that way and cheaper than getting the transmission controller.

What about micro squirt? I can't find anyone on putting that in their z. Would that be a easier or just go ahead and get the megasquirt 2 or 1.

doing manual switches for launch. Like have a switch for the fuel pump and the starter

do you tie the switch in the input wires or the output wires If it's even possible to set up that.

I want to use raspberry pi for the module and tuning and the reason for using manual switches is because I want to run a kill sequence switch and a launch button to start the car hence the sequence so no one else can s

You're way behind where you need to be.  Does the car run and drive now?  Because it will be down for a long time if you start tearing in to it.  Is it an automatic transmission car or are you talking about controlling the various switches on a manual transmission car?  Where does Rasperry PI come in to the picture?  Any old computer will work for tuning.

Most people use the word "launch" to mean leaving the line in drag-racing.  You mean "start".  And it's not the soldering that's important it's making the right connections.  If you're asking about a kill switch and a start button, Megasquirt is going to be a nightmare for you.

https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/raspberry-pi-compute-module-new-product/

Yes the car runs and drives fine. I have headers and bigger tb lots of new parts and better fuel pump and more than I can name. It's auto and yeah I could use an old computer but I'm putting the pi with the lcd screen and mounting it in the dash tray or in console. So my keyboard and mouse are sitting on side between seats when not in use. And the switches are for the start basically, to manually turn on the fuel pump and electric fans with the pi and the mega squirt. Using the circuit breaker and switch module sold on diyautotune. Although I may make my own switches depends where I'm going to place them .

I'm going to turbo the car this month and I'm already collecting parts to do the swap but I know people said I need to get my ecu set up first before I do the turbo install which is why I just had some specific questions.

Alright then if it's easier to not do any switches I won't. I've just seen some cars run with switches to control things I always wondered how they had that with the ecu or if they used mega etc. but I'll drop that idea. Electrical and programming is nothing new to me. I used to jailbreak play stations and make custom firmwares for them and soldering very fine connections in less than a mm post. I'm very savy in that field. I just get confused with what exactly you need. i know I need the megasquirt 1 with Pcb 3 and I know it's easier with the harness and the assorted sensors and the crank sensor etc. but am I missing anything? I don't want to have everything and just needed a special board for a certain function.

I suggest that you stop thinking in terms of Megasquirt and computers and switches and focus on how electronic engine management systems work.  Understand what the engine needs then use your Playstation skills to give it what it needs.  Read the EFEC, and the Engine Electrical, chapters of the FSM and you'll be way ahead of where you are now.  You're approaching your project from the wrong side.

Here's another good starter book, written by the guys that run DIYAutotune.  It covers most of what you're asking about.

https://www.diyautotune.com/product/performance-fuel-injection-systems-hp-books/

http://www.amazon.com/Performance-Fuel-Injection-Systems-HP1557/dp/1557885575

Thanks for that other book I will read that as well. I've already read the fsm a lot of times and looked in electrical part I know the whole set up for wiring and what goes where so that does help with setting up wire harness to the right locations. but if I have electric fans with my radiator does megasquirt run that as well or do I need to just wire to be on with the battery so it always runs when turned on. I live in Texas so the rad fan will always need to be running.

Since you can read a diagram and know the wiring the best thing you could do now is to sit down and draw up a new diagram for all of the things that you want to use.  The answers to your questions will fall out of figuring out where to draw the lines.