HybridZ

My 78 280z 2JZnat Build Thread

CX Racing also makes a bracket as well.

I'm looking to do this pretty soon with a VVTi GE though.

Didn't know CX racing made those. I went the IGN-1A route, and got a bracket that replaces the coil pack cover.

gvMAyYS.jpg

Edited by Geno750

• 2 weeks later...

Quick question, i saw on a couple threads where yall are cutting the shock towers and rewelding, is that necessary to fit the 2jz? also ill be doing the cd009 trans with the 2j and the cx mounts, i dont mind cutting the interior for the shifter but how far back will it be shifter be?  My interior is gutted 

Quick question, i saw on a couple threads where yall are cutting the shock towers and rewelding, is that necessary to fit the 2jz? also ill be doing the cd009 trans with the 2j and the cx mounts, i dont mind cutting the interior for the shifter but how far back will it be shifter be?  My interior is gutted 

The only cutting I had to do was the original transmission mount and where the shifter comes up through. I tried finding a solution for the shifter to come up through the stock location but failed. I ended up getting a gktech shifter,

ok thanks bro. I was worried id have to send my car back to the body shop for cut and welding. 

So far i got my CX mounts, Engine, harness, ecu and rear sump pan. Total spent $610. Hopefully i can remain under budget. About the only good thing about living in a border city is the cheap competitive prices. 

Got any more updates or tips. 

• 2 weeks later...

The design isn't very good. 

I ended up drastically changing mine to get it to sit where I wanted it.

Someone did say that the way they are designed is to weld the two pieces together once you have the correct location. More or less made for a very customizable mockup. Granted people put slots in the suspension pickups and that is held by one bolt and apparently that never moves. 

Edited by seattlejester

Does tech2 not offer a way to buy just the engine mounts? Their kit includes engine mounts, crossmember, trans mounts, driveshaft, and shifter extension, plus an install DVD. I can't imaging you're actually that far ahead when all is said and done by going with the CX kit and piecing everything together separately. 

I think the cx mount kit is like 500 (engine and trans), custom drive shaft for 300, shifter relocator about 250. You are still ahead there by a good deal other then the sub par mounting.

The tech2 kit from what I can tell is only sold in packages. There kit is a whole cradle so I can't imagine it would be cheaper even if you took out the accessories.

cx mount kit doesnt come with a cross member for a cd009 trans. The kit is 500 but it includes the crossmember for a r154 tranny. I added two more bolts per mount on top to stiffen it a bit and got it to sit better. Also i realized its wobbly because also the tranny isnt on so theres no rear support. And now with the two added bolts, its better. So ill muscle through the lesser quality and settle for the $1000 savings. 

• 2 months later...