HybridZ

Ford 8.8 IRS swap v2.0

spitsnaugle

And I dont like that it requires buying a new rear cover.

Yeah, but you should be able to run basically any 8.8 cover; steel, cast Al, whatever.  I guess with a steel cover, you'd have to run some 5mm spacers between the mount and the cover, to account for the steel cover being thin, which would throw the front diff to body mounting holes out of alignment.

The issue with doing a 'sandwiched' plate as you mentioned earlier is you have additional sealing surfaces to maintain. (So the whole plate will have to be very flat (±0.005"??) Are you thinking gaskets, or RTV here or what?

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
spitsnaugle - when you do have the time, could you give an overview of what you plan to provide in this kit, along with a list of items you plan on keeping standardized - like bushings, nuts, bolts, etc.

Also, have you come up with a plan for axles yet, so far the cheapest sounds like to use the explorer axles, have them cut down, then resplined for z31 outer joints (may be wrong about the specifics on that, just trying to give an example).

Would love to hear some ideas.

I dont remember if I said this anywhere but I'm very interested in coming up or helping with a design that will make it nice and cheap and easy for S30 people to get this done....and, ya know, to be able to handle lots o torque. 

spitsnaugle - when you do have the time, could you give an overview of what you plan to provide in this kit, along with a list of items you plan on keeping standardized - like bushings, nuts, bolts, etc.

Also, have you come up with a plan for axles yet, so far the cheapest sounds like to use the explorer axles, have them cut down, then resplined for z31 outer joints (may be wrong about the specifics on that, just trying to give an example).

Would love to hear some ideas.

I dont remember if I said this anywhere but I'm very interested in coming up or helping with a design that will make it nice and cheap and easy for S30 people to get this done....and, ya know, to be able to handle lots o torque. 

Due to slight differences in the Inner CV mounts between Cobra and Explorers -- I'm only looking at providing the mounting hardware. 

Axels, etc. is all up to you guys. I'll provide lengths based on what I use once I get my parts back from teamZmotors and can mount everything. 

I used the driveshaftshop's Ford Explorer 8.8 inner CV mount for 108mm or Porsche 930 CV joint. I think it was $500~ for the set. Numbers below:

108-FD-I-31  Ford Cobra to 930 Stub

108-FD-I-31-2  Ford Explorer to 930 Stub

The bushing mounts I'm having made are similar to ArizonaZ, TechnoToyTuning, and Whitehead, I dont know what bushing they use, but mine are based off of Energy Suspension 7.1102G. 

Edited by spitsnaugle

Good, getting away from Z31 parts is what we need to do. Every year there's less and less of them, so moving onto something else is a great idea. 930 CV's are insanely plentiful and can be found used on all sorts of vehicles.

You wouldn't happen to have a picture of your design would you?

On 1/11/2017 at 12:55 PM, Neverdone said:

Good, getting away from Z31 parts is what we need to do. Every year there's less and less of them, so moving onto something else is a great idea. 930 CV's are insanely plentiful and can be found used on all sorts of vehicles.

You wouldn't happen to have a picture of your design would you?

The rear: 

IufkDPM.png?

Edited by spitsnaugle

I understand your wanting to get away from using Z31 joints, but are the 930 joints really that affordable?  I believe the weak point of stock 930 joints are the cages, so if you upgrade those, use explorer inner CV mounts and explorer axle shafts cut to correct length (resplined for 930 joints on inner and whatever widely available nissan joint you use for the outer/whatever hub you're using), wouldnt that be the cheapest route while still maintaining high torque capability?

Please anyone add their experiences as it sounds like spits has the diff mount part of it under control.

Edited by DeathByNissan55

Many BMW's use 930 joints in their CV axles. I picked up a set of E23 axles from a pick and pull which has two bolt on 930 CV joints for dirt cheap. 

Almost all dune buggies use 930 joints as well, so getting custom axles is actually as easy as it can get.

Loving the design of the bracket! Sandwiching it between the diff cover and the housing would require two gaskets, but you could run any cover you like...I'm a fan.

Hi all, I could use a measurement if anyone has Ford Explorer 8.8 differential from a 2007-2011. (or any others that has two front mounts)

My diff only has the front mount on one side, so I need the measurement of the distance between the two front mounts, (center to center) if anyone has calipers large enough to get that, I'd be super thankful! 

I'm assuming the mounting holes are going to go on those little tabs on the inside of the main bracket.

Seeing as you'll have to weld them on, could you also weld a gusset to the back of that opening for added strength?

I've attached a MS Paint edited drawing

post-12254-0-07056000-1484768820_thumb.jpg

I'm assuming the mounting holes are going to go on those little tabs on the inside of the main bracket.

Seeing as you'll have to weld them on, could you also weld a gusset to the back of that opening for added strength?

I've attached a MS Paint edited drawing

yes- those will have gusset plates, but just inside, past the mounting holes. 

• 3 weeks later...

spitsnaugle I'm very glad to see you doing this. I saw ZCD kit with the idiotic mount that bolts outside the cover requiring a new one and was wanting to make something exactly like you describe that sandwiches. Are you making a suspension upright too? I think that is the main thing to make the swap easy/cheap. I was wanting to do something like Will did but have it just use the explorer front hubs and not some Franken-dodge dealio.That way you could grab everything from a junkyard from one car, and then you can use the stock explorer CVs with just a shortened axle. Should be super easy and affordable.