HybridZ

Ford 8.8 IRS swap v2.0

spitsnaugle

Glad you finally found a machine shop that wants to do the job. Custom auto shops aren't needed for the parts shown above.

Most any machine shop can do them and offer a timely delivery. If they can't, go somewhere else.

Edited by RonA

AWESOME!! Looking good man. Will this be offered raw or paint/powder coat option? 

I had planned on doing all with black powder coat on cradle and front mount, but if someone wants raw I can probably put one aside. Eventually. 

Glad you finally found a machine shop that wants to do the job. Custom auto shops aren't needed for the parts shown above.

Most any machine shop can do them and offer a timely delivery. If they can't, go somewhere else.

I tried a couple other waterjet/machine shops local as well, but each failed to produce a quote, or I was too small of quantity. 

A friend recommended teamzmotorsports, and they were lowest price (still) and they were even going to do the powder coat. But its actually getting done now, so thats good. 

Its in there!

lBIPzUC.jpg

Hopefully Ill get this back in there soon, too: 

cumUCH4.jpg

Absolutely Fantastic. I have already started setting money aside. I have a friend that owns a very large company with water mills, laser, etc. He makes a ton of custom stuff and is a car guy as well. If you have things autocadded up I can send you his info. Downside is that its up here in Ontario.

I'm sure you already thought of this spitz, but make sure to weigh everything, one of the good marketing points for yours will be if lighter or very close to the weight of the zcar one.

What do you plan on using for cover bolts through this plate?  Bolts will be in double shear which if i remember my engineering school at all, is preferable.  

The bolts are in single shear here. The load is between the diff and the mounting plate. The cover isnt providing any load bearing capacity. None the less I don't see any structural problem with this setup. Should be plenty strong.

The double end seal under twisting and bending forces will be trickier. Spitsnaugle I know its more work but maybe you want to have the machined put in a grove on both seals to hold more RTV, or even get a custom gasket made / "Cut your own" gasket. 

The bolts are in single shear here. The load is between the diff and the mounting plate. The cover isn't providing any load bearing capacity. None the less I don't see any structural problem with this setup. Should be plenty strong.

Ya beat me to it, Jacky.  I wrote up almost a verbatim reply last night and forgot to post it!

• 4 weeks later...

Why wouldn't two of the stock gasket work in this situation? One on the front side of the plate, one on the back.

I actually gave this one a little thought myself.  The reason most companies do not use gaskets anymore is that they are trying to provide additional stiffness and rigidity to the differential housing by having a stiff cover, which would also require a solidly bolted connection. When you have paper, rubber or cork gaskets, there is a layer that is very elastic; this will allow the two metal surfaces (cover and housing) to move relative to each other, even if only a tiny bit. The idea of using RTV is to fill in surface imperfections / leak points between the two metal faces, so that 95% of the surface is metal to metal.  I think the best bet, design wise would be to use RTV between both sets of sealing surfaces here, and ensure you use the same grade hardware and torque as original.  Too often people substitute 'stronger' bolts but then you risk doing one of two things: 1, you follow the original torque values, so you get the correct clamping pressure, but you don't get the correct stretch on your hardware and they may loosen up over time.  2, you follow the torque for new new hardware and you risk stripping out the case, or distort it creating additional leak issues.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Oh my guys, I'm sorry I'm a slacker here. I've been out touring Germany/Austria/Czech for just short of a month, and came back and have been too busy to keep rolling on the car. 

I had a friend just last week laser out my front mount, I found one of my measurements off. It'll involve  scrapping the two bushing mounts I had CNC'd already. I should be able to get that squared away in the next two-three weeks.  I'll be out again for a week at september 15th hiking banff national park just west of Calgary, Canada.

Edited by spitsnaugle

You are living an exciting, busy life indeed. Thanks for the update and hope the new measurements work out. I am/will be your biggest fan and supporter of getting this to a point where many of us can purchase one of your kits. Looking forward to more updates in the near future. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/1/2017 at 5:51 PM, neruve said:

Also interested in updates. Am looking to do an 8.8 IRS into mine.

I sent off my revised design to the CNC shop this last week, hope to have new parts on hand end of next week. 
From there I have a sheetmetal shop waiting to a final measurement on the front mount. Then its off to make a larger batch of them. 

On 10/2/2017 at 2:34 PM, 240zshawn said:

Any more updates on this axles hubs etc?

I'm not doing axles hubs etc. Theres many options and different price points depending on your needs. One guy on the v8 FB group reused the ford axels "Stock explorer axles cut down and resplined to fit 300zx TechnoTuning outer stubs" Which might be the cheapest option, I purchased the driveshaftshop's explorer to 930 cv adapters... 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I was in the junkyard today digging around, and the 02 explorers have a lower mount on the outer suspension that's similar to the datsun one.  Was curious if just using the 8.8, cut down explorer axles and explorer brakes and all would be the cheapest solution...  you would need to fab up a way to mount a shock to the upper ball joint mount and you would then have 5x4.5 hubs, brakes and all those kinds of things for pennies.  And all for the price of less than heat treated racing half shafts from the z store or where ever.  Last i checked it was like $600 for them...