HybridZ

Ford 8.8 IRS swap v2.0

spitsnaugle

• 2 weeks later...
On 16/05/2016 at 3:35 PM, rturbo 930 said:

I think you mean Ford 8.8 Diff swap. Anyway, I'll be following this one. I didn't care for the amount of things you have to change out to use Fritt's conversion. My plan was the following:

8.8 Diff, mounts, etc.

DSS stub axles

930 CVs

Custom length axle shaft

And an adapter to go between the 930 CV and the factory stub axle, like you'd use to convert to Z31 CVs.

Chequered Flag Joe actually makes that adapter, but only in 39 spline, I believe, and he sells it as part of a kit. I'm interested to see what you come up with. Something a little less spendy would be nice.

What is the process for determining the length of a custom length axle shaft?  Bolt everything up and take a tape measure to it (similar to measuring a driveshaft)?

Not sure how I missed this.  GREAT work.  I have an 8.8 in my car but cobbled the mount waiting for someone to made a decent one.  WINNER WINNER.  Spitnaugle if there are any questions let me know.   We have a lot of fabrication done locally, if you need a bid let me know.  We laser a lot of stuff, all the time, (search North racecars inc ).  Great job.  Richard. 

Edited by Richard Oben

Just curious how you plan to mount the front? Have you shared any designs yet? I assume a new crossmember with mounting arms reaching back? I am working on the same project myself and looking at other efforts I haven't seen a really strong solution yet.
Tom

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 12/19/2017 at 5:00 PM, Nelsonian said:

I'm curious as well, enquiring Minds need to know

After hearing about some failures with someone elses kit twisting Im working with a well known Z vendor and amazing engineer on some improvements the front mount. I'll let you know more when I have it. 

In the down time, I ended up redoing half of my garage, had to level some concrete, raising the door, and put in a four post lift. Makes it real nice not working on my back on frigid concrete.  

d3HMGvw.jpg

4 hours ago, DeathByNissan55 said:

Hey Spitz, be careful who you share the designs with too, someone just got burned on something they came up with on one of the datsun facebook pages.

Hoping for 2018 front mount updates soon lol not like 2018 just started or anything....i swear i'm not eager haha

Woah, I'm on the v8 s30 group, was it there? what was it? 

Edited by spitsnaugle

Thanks for the update.  Please share the failure thread what went wrong and why.  Also maybe the copy link, that would be a bad turn of events. Richard. 

PS going to love the lift.  I have had one for 15 years no idea how I did without it. 

Edited by Richard Oben

On 1/5/2018 at 9:24 PM, spitsnaugle said:

Woah, I'm on the v8 s30 group, was it there? what was it? 

It was a couple days ago, i dont remember anymore, it was a guy complaining about that he shared his design with someone and they ended up copying it but changing like 1 thing and selling it.  the guy had the gall to promote the stolen IP in one of the original guy's posts.....just be careful man.

Make sure all the shops you go to aren't like specialty Z because they might just go out and take it from you.

You've done some real good work on this and it makes me super happy to hear you're working with an engineer on this (EVEN THOUGH I OFFERED TO HELP TOO :-P ) So just make sure to protect your work.

Keep it up and looking forward to what the final bit is.  Besides me, i know there is at least 1 other guy 100% interested in your kit...I just sincerely hope I can afford it haha

2 hours ago, DeathByNissan55 said:

It was a couple days ago, i dont remember anymore, it was a guy complaining about that he shared his design with someone and they ended up copying it but changing like 1 thing and selling it.  the guy had the gall to promote the stolen IP in one of the original guy's posts.....just be careful man.

To be fair, that's not really what happened.

There's a guy who makes weld-on Z31T CV adapters, and someone who purchased these made some revisions to the design for better axle clearance and some other minor improvements. This customer shared his improvements with the seller, who basically told him to sod off.  This guy had a few extras made when he did his, and sold the extras of his version. Original seller got his panties in a wad.  I purchased both sets... maybe i'll do a write up comparison when the version 2 ones get here.

(Sorry to get off topic)

Edited by tim.d

On 1/5/2018 at 9:24 PM, spitsnaugle said:

After hearing about some failures with someone elses kit twisting Im working with a well known Z vendor and amazing engineer on some improvements the front mount. I'll let you know more when I have it.

This seems like a good mount design that doesn't require mods to the body and can take the moment well.

diff_cradle_013.jpg

Edited by rossman

11 hours ago, DeathByNissan55 said:

Keep it up and looking forward to what the final bit is.  Besides me, i know there is at least 1 other guy 100% interested in your kit...I just sincerely hope I can afford it haha

You must be referring to me as I am 100% interested in seeing this come to fruition.

That design would work, although it would make pulling just the suspension require dropping the diff as well or leave it hanging on just the rear mounts. Doesn't happen often, but could be troublesome if you had a stuck spindle pin and wanted to change shocks or if you were using the differential as the jacking point (that's happened before).

Same off topic, regarding the incident in question, apparently the guy who copied the design never purchased the set apparently or was given the design. He asked and was told they weren't ready or available so he took the idea, made his own measurements from axles, made crucial fixes and indeed made his own and produced them. Tried to make it right by offering the seller the design but that ended poorly. Only reason worth clarifying is to not raise defenses on anecdotal interpretation. 

Bringing it back on topic, I think it does raise a point. Those sharing in good faith like several with build threads or production threads like this one are at risk of intellectual theft, but the benefit is that you get active feedback from frankly really talented people, and this does also set precedent showing the idea existing prior. Also I think it is useful in that it keeps projects in check. I think someone offered a mount kit a while back that was too simple for the price. Any knowledgeable fabricator can make a perfectly suitable mount, the benefit here is that someone has taken the time to do so, if the piece is too simple and someone decides to charge a ludicrous amount, you can get a reality check which can help future sales.

7 hours ago, seattlejester said:

That design would work, although it would make pulling just the suspension require dropping the diff as well or leave it hanging on just the rear mounts. Doesn't happen often, but could be troublesome if you had a stuck spindle pin and wanted to change shocks or if you were using the differential as the jacking point (that's happened before).

It certainly has some drawbacks (weight also), but structurally it looks much more stout that the crappy cantilevered designs being sold by other vendors. 

Edited by rossman