HybridZ
spitsnaugle

Ford 8.8 IRS swap v2.0

spitsnaugle    2
Posted (edited)

I see a Morris Mini lurking in the background.

Its the wife's new car!  RHD Rover Mini. Imported from Japan, rust free and only 28000km on the odometer.  Picked it up for her on our 6 year anniversary, the "traditional" 6 year present is iron... so i went for old iron :)

zYtjte9.jpg

Edited by spitsnaugle

I'm sure you already thought of this spitz, but make sure to weigh everything, one of the good marketing points for yours will be if lighter or very close to the weight of the zcar one.

What do you plan on using for cover bolts through this plate?  Bolts will be in double shear which if i remember my engineering school at all, is preferable.  

However, I still don't see how this will stay sealed.  The first blast off the line won't the bead of RTV touching the smooth surface of the sandwiched plate just tear apart - allowing fluid to leak through (granted it won't be a lot because it shouldnt be under any major pressure ever, but still will leak?  Or am I just overthinking it and RTV will be able to handle the stretch)

And my apologies again, but did you already show your plans for the front mount?  For this plate to work, the front mount will have to be bullet proof, correct?

spitsnaugle    2

However, I still don't see how this will stay sealed.  The first blast off the line won't the bead of RTV touching the smooth surface of the sandwiched plate just tear apart - allowing fluid to leak through (granted it won't be a lot because it shouldnt be under any major pressure ever, but still will leak?  Or am I just overthinking it and RTV will be able to handle the stretch)

And my apologies again, but did you already show your plans for the front mount?  For this plate to work, the front mount will have to be bullet proof, correct?

Rough drawing of the Front mount is post 37 in this thread http://forums.hybridz.org/topic/125328-ford-88-irs-swap-v20/?p=1184915

I've already made some changes to it, but that'll be pretty close to it. 

I was unsure about the sandwiched plate as well, but after talking to the owner at SelfMadeFab he said its something they've done previously without issue. 

RonA    1
Posted (edited)

Glad you finally found a machine shop that wants to do the job. Custom auto shops aren't needed for the parts shown above.

Most any machine shop can do them and offer a timely delivery. If they can't, go somewhere else.

Edited by RonA

spitsnaugle    2

AWESOME!! Looking good man. Will this be offered raw or paint/powder coat option? 

I had planned on doing all with black powder coat on cradle and front mount, but if someone wants raw I can probably put one aside. Eventually. 

Glad you finally found a machine shop that wants to do the job. Custom auto shops aren't needed for the parts shown above.

Most any machine shop can do them and offer a timely delivery. If they can't, go somewhere else.

I tried a couple other waterjet/machine shops local as well, but each failed to produce a quote, or I was too small of quantity. 

A friend recommended teamzmotorsports, and they were lowest price (still) and they were even going to do the powder coat. But its actually getting done now, so thats good. 

Its in there!

lBIPzUC.jpg

Hopefully Ill get this back in there soon, too: 

cumUCH4.jpg

Absolutely Fantastic. I have already started setting money aside. I have a friend that owns a very large company with water mills, laser, etc. He makes a ton of custom stuff and is a car guy as well. If you have things autocadded up I can send you his info. Downside is that its up here in Ontario.

jacky4566    1

I'm sure you already thought of this spitz, but make sure to weigh everything, one of the good marketing points for yours will be if lighter or very close to the weight of the zcar one.

What do you plan on using for cover bolts through this plate?  Bolts will be in double shear which if i remember my engineering school at all, is preferable.  

The bolts are in single shear here. The load is between the diff and the mounting plate. The cover isnt providing any load bearing capacity. None the less I don't see any structural problem with this setup. Should be plenty strong.

The double end seal under twisting and bending forces will be trickier. Spitsnaugle I know its more work but maybe you want to have the machined put in a grove on both seals to hold more RTV, or even get a custom gasket made / "Cut your own" gasket. 

The bolts are in single shear here. The load is between the diff and the mounting plate. The cover isn't providing any load bearing capacity. None the less I don't see any structural problem with this setup. Should be plenty strong.

Ya beat me to it, Jacky.  I wrote up almost a verbatim reply last night and forgot to post it!

Why wouldn't two of the stock gasket work in this situation? One on the front side of the plate, one on the back.

I actually gave this one a little thought myself.  The reason most companies do not use gaskets anymore is that they are trying to provide additional stiffness and rigidity to the differential housing by having a stiff cover, which would also require a solidly bolted connection. When you have paper, rubber or cork gaskets, there is a layer that is very elastic; this will allow the two metal surfaces (cover and housing) to move relative to each other, even if only a tiny bit. The idea of using RTV is to fill in surface imperfections / leak points between the two metal faces, so that 95% of the surface is metal to metal.  I think the best bet, design wise would be to use RTV between both sets of sealing surfaces here, and ensure you use the same grade hardware and torque as original.  Too often people substitute 'stronger' bolts but then you risk doing one of two things: 1, you follow the original torque values, so you get the correct clamping pressure, but you don't get the correct stretch on your hardware and they may loosen up over time.  2, you follow the torque for new new hardware and you risk stripping out the case, or distort it creating additional leak issues.

spitsnaugle    2

Oh my guys, I'm sorry I'm a slacker here. I've been out touring Germany/Austria/Czech for just short of a month, and came back and have been too busy to keep rolling on the car. 

I had a friend just last week laser out my front mount, I found one of my measurements off. It'll involve  scrapping the two bushing mounts I had CNC'd already. I should be able to get that squared away in the next two-three weeks.  I'll be out again for a week at september 15th hiking banff national park just west of Calgary, Canada.

Edited by spitsnaugle

Nelsonian    7

You are living an exciting, busy life indeed. Thanks for the update and hope the new measurements work out. I am/will be your biggest fan and supporter of getting this to a point where many of us can purchase one of your kits. Looking forward to more updates in the near future.