HybridZ

Air Dam Tire clearance

Bob_260

First of all I want to apologize to the group, I'm sure this question has been covered before, but after searching for a couple of hours I haven't had any luck finding the right postings!  So I'd appreciate people pointing me in the right direction.

I have a 10/73 build 260z with coilovers and I'm running 235/45/17 tires on 17x8.5" Rota rims. No flares, just rolled the fender lip.  I'm getting ready to paint the car this summer and I'm considering fitting the Xenon Ducted Urethane Air Dam before painting, but I'm concerned about clearance when the tires are turned to the limits.  Originally I had to trim about 3/4" off the lower valence sheet metal to gain enough clearance to eliminate the rubbing.  My question is: am I going to have clearance problems with the Xenon Air Dam and if so how much can I trim the Xenon Air Dam without butchering it? 

Thank for your help and your patience with my search skills!

I have that air dam on my 73 and I used a large metal file and easily removed material. I was also able to bevel the edge of air dam inward for more clearance. The file was easy to control the amount taken off. I did this with tires mounted and car sitting on ground and the air dam was already painted...no problem

I was concerned that the back edge was just a thin lip of plastic, which once I cut it off the sides would not be supported (I haven't had the chance to examine one of these air dams in person) but from what you guys have described it sounds more like it's fairly thick lip which can be trimmed (filed down) within reason.  It also sounds like the line design may give more room than the factory sheet metal.  I think I'll go ahead and order one and fit it up.  Worst case I have to sell it and someone else on the forum gets a bargain!  I'll try and follow-up on this post as I progress.  Thanks for your help!

• 2 weeks later...

Hey! I want to give you guys an update. Just did the first trial fitting of the Xenon air dam tonight and it clears the tires (235/45/17) with about a 1/4" to spare on hard turns. I may tweek it a bit with a file or a sander as suggested. But so far I have had any rubbing issues, straight out of the box! I've attached a couple of photos. Thanks for your help. I hope this tread can be of assistance to someone else in the future. (Assuming their search skills are better than mine and they can find itpost-47923-0-36381500-1464311498_thumb.jpegpost-47923-0-24752600-1464311561_thumb.jpeg

Do you plan on tweaking your caster with adjustable TC rods rods? Mine at 5 degrees rubs slightly, but I live with it as the stability feels amazing. Something to keep in mind.

Edited by 240zdan

Good point 240zDan". I did installed adjustable TC rods when I did the Coilovers upgrades & big brake upgrade about a year ago. I don't remember where we set the caster angle when we did the final alignment. I'll have to go back through my records.