HybridZ

need help QUICK! difference between turbo and non turbo slave cylinder

supernova_6969

******edit, one week later: seems the slave cylinders are all the same, even though the auto part stores have different photos for different years or car models.. i bought the "wrong" one, which had a larger outer diameter, and it worked perfectly.

Hi!

situation: I'm in a bind, I had to leave my car in a parking lot somewhere, and i need to fix the car and drive it somewhere safe like, ASAP.

QUESTION: does anyone one know if the turbo and non turbo slave cylinder are interchangeable and if not, why?

here is the story:

I have a 1983 280zx. a bit of a Frankenstein, with parts from different cars, rebuilt by the previous owner.

i was driving today, and I ended up stalling twice while trying to leave a light. the third time I realized i had a hard time engaging first. I managed to limp to a parking lot and realized that I had no more clutch. I looked, and the clutch slave cylinder is dead. it puked all over the place.

The car is in a restaurant parking lot, I had to leave it there, and it'll spend the overnight there (at least, hopefully not more).

I pulled the slave out, and it looks like this

post-49697-0-16157900-1463615825_thumb.jpg

I made a bunch of calls, and the local auto parts could get me within a day the NON TURBO slave, which I believe looks like this

post-49697-0-88077800-1463615824_thumb.jpg

I'm wondering if there is a difference. since none of the places have it in stock, if I order it I can't return it.. also that means i'll have lost a day waiting for it.

thanks

Edited by supernova_6969

btw, after I posted, i did some photoshop magic, superimposed the two images, and is seems that the non turbo slave might have a piston that sticks out less.

can anyone confirm, and would anyone know if I could simply switch out the pistons (my current one in the non turbo cylinder) with success?

thanks for the reply newzed. 

from what i understand, it does seem to be rather universal....   

all the auto parts I talked to had two parts, one for turbo, one for n/a, and with a different price attached to them.   but this seems to show it's all the same...  

encouraging.

however, i checked on z car source, and they have a universal model, with what appears to have an adjustable piston, and model specific ones for turbo or non turbo, all three with a different price..

can any one else with personal experience chime in?

Edited by supernova_6969

Rockauto and Autozone show the same.  I think that parts guys you're talking to aren't really looking at the part, just the fact that their database requires them to choose a car.

The clutches are the same.  The only reason to use a slave cylinder would be if the master cylinder is a different bore size or the pivot point in the transmission was different, requiring a different clutch fork also.  None of this is the case.

When you go in to today's auto parts stores, you tell the parts people what's what.  Never take advice from a parts person at one of the big chains.  

hey again, Newzed

i looked with the  guys in their system, and they had the two pictures i showed in my original post, the black cylinder for the turbo, and the grey for the non turbo.  

I myself thought the same as you, that it`s just the computer asking for a model, but the different pictures and prices threw me off.  doesn't mean they are not the same though....

that said, i'll take the original one apart tonight and go to a hydraulic's place tomorrow bright and early, see if they have a seal/washed that would fit.  it's not kosher, as you are supposed to change the whole piston, but if it works, even for a few days, I'l be more than happy.  if not, then i'll just order whatever is in stock, and re-sell it on ebay or here if I can't fit it in my car....

Hey guys.

A few days ago, encouraged by newzed's comments, i bought what the auto part store defined as "non-turbo" (engined) 280zx clutch slave... as a reference, it's like the fatter one in the two photos i posted in the first post...

Turns out it fits my car no issue...

The cylinfer/piston diameter was around 3/4 of an inch (plus or minus a few thou), just like my original, except the outer diameter was much skinnier.

So go forth and buy the cheapest you can get, no matter what the model, as they all appear ro be thr same.