HybridZ

New rocker arms?

Jss240z

Hello,

I'm milling a p79 head .080" and shimming the cam towers and springs the same for correct geometry. Taking the valves I have out of my n42 (which are fairly new) , springs and Schneider cam. My question is should I be replacing my rockers for new ones as well as lash pads?

Someone will correct me I'm sure.

It's common knowledge a set of rockers is set with a camshaft. If said camshaft is moved to another head, which places the wear pattern in a different spot due to lash thickness etc, those rockers are no longer matched with the cam. True, or false?

I've heard of people not replacing the rockers and being fine. But that's just them saying. With the .08" longer valve I'll be using, shaving the head by the same amount and shimming , the valve train should be close. Moving everything back to the same spot height wise. Guess I should not be cheap and get new ones just in case. Just wanted to know if anyone had a definitive answer one way or another.

Someone will correct me I'm sure.

It's common knowledge a set of rockers is set with a camshaft. If said camshaft is moved to another head, which places the wear pattern in a different spot due to lash thickness etc, those rockers are no longer matched with the cam. True, or false?

Used rockers are fine to reuse (even preferred) IF there isn't a pronounced flat-spot in the middle of the rocker face and the outer edges aren't worn down enough to grab your fingernail. This is what I remember from a discussion with Ron Iskendarian.

Used rockers are fine to reuse (even preferred) IF there isn't a pronounced flat-spot in the middle of the rocker face and the outer edges aren't worn down enough to grab your fingernail. This is what I remember from a discussion with Ron Iskendarian.

Some of my rockers are actually worn like that... Good knowledge for future use though. I contacted Eiji from Datsun spirit (awesome service!) and he sells them pretty cheap compared to others I've check so I ordered a set.

Some of my rockers are actually worn like that... Good knowledge for future use though. I contacted Eiji from Datsun spirit (awesome service!) and he sells them pretty cheap compared to others I've check so I ordered a set.

Nice! Give them a good visual inspection when they come in. I've seen quality issues with the pads being sintered off-center in the Sealed Power rockers I got, hence why I bought two Nissan ones. 

The actual quote I received from him stated "new Oem Nissan rockers". So I'm guessing (hoping) there good quality.

I see, I was assuming you bought ITM rockers. How much does Datsun Spirit charge for new OEM Nissan rockers?

I see, I was assuming you bought ITM rockers. How much does Datsun Spirit charge for new OEM Nissan rockers?

I don't have the quote in front of me but I believe less than HALF of what I could find anywhere else. I'll have to check again later, but it was substantial. He also did not have the lash pads I needed in stock (after he mistakenly said he did) so they are being shipped straight from Japan to my place. I'm seriously blown away by his service.