HybridZ

"Quiet" fuel pump--need opinions please!

DavyZ

I started looking for places to mount by Blue today... where the blast can ya' put it?!! And do they require a return style regualtor? I've not looked closely at the one that shipped with it but I could swear it was a deadhead type, no? What are folks using for filters too... Now that my rear is finally in I'm looking to fuel pumps and fuel lines smile.gif

Will check the JTR book... have no tire well anymore smile.gif Considered mounting it to the mounting rail for the fuel cell but decided against it for now. Instructions say it should be mounted BELOW the sump - yeah right! I don't think I should be mounting ANYTHING that low....

quote:

Originally posted by RPMS:

For those interested in such things, the DIYEFI webpage is at
Scott Ferguson

Okay, I'm confused(?).

Just got thru looking at the site Scott listed; in the "Oem systems" of that site there were hardly any pumps that exceeded 40 GPH & those that did barely hit the 50 GPH mark.

Guess my question is then; why is everyone going for the Holley "Blue" Pump which lists as 110 GPH?

The formaula I have for determining GPH is:

Air CFM x 4.38 x .08/6 (6 represents 6lbs per gallon)

CFM = Displacement x Max Rpms/3456 x VE

This formaula assumes a gasoline max power air to fuel ratio of 12.5:1 at sea level (14.7psi air pressure) and 59*F outside ar temp/and fact that gasoline weighs about 6lbs per gallon.

With those in mind: a 383SBC @ 7000rpms and assuming a 90% VE only requires 40 GPH; then tach on another 10 GPH for safety reasons & still you are only at 50 GPH.

I'm not satisfied that a Normally Aspirated engine driven on the street requires a 110 GPH; not to mention it is noisy/why not obtain a factory fuel pump from another auto mfg w/the required needs...I'm sure the mfg has gone to extremes to make their pumps quiet as possible.

Some of the Porsche/Mercedes pumps on the site Scott listed were pretty on the mark w/the 45-54 GPH requirements.

Just my .02c's worth.

Thanks Scott for that site/it was interesting & informative.

Kevin,

(Yea,Still an Inliner)

In my case I chose the Blue because it was a proven combination. I'm willing to switch if something else has been found that's going to work, can be mounted with AN fittings, and isn't noisy. I DO want a safety margin though and 10GPH might not be neough. With lights on, A/C, wipers, and who knows what else th evoltage may drop - that's when a safety margin helps!