HybridZ

"Quiet" fuel pump--need opinions please!

DavyZ

I will be purchasing an electric fuel pump sometime soon, and want to know what is considered "quiet" or "noisy" for such a thing. I have heard that the Holley is noisy, but that seems to be what many of you are running! I am running about 300hp for now and need a pump I can live with in terms of price (I'm cheap), noise (quiet is better), and availability (common is better and more likely to be around in the years to come). Please fire away!

Thanks,

David smile.gif

PS--don't slap me with "it's in the archives, stupid" biggrin.gif

Some of this has to do with mounting. I've got a Paxton cofee can pump on the Mustang - from inside it's louder than the motor! But it's solid mounted and I foound that some Dynamat on that piece of sheetmetal helps a great deal. If I rubber mount that sucker it ought to be even quieter.

When I cut down my moustache bushings I made sure to save the pieces. I figure I might be able to use them for pump mounting. I also saved the rubber pieces the previous owner used on the pump he mounted - that was still too loud frown.gif You'll hear the blue from outside the car I'm sure but from inside I'm hoping I can isolate it enough not to care. Down the road I'll be EFI anyway so this is only "temporary" for me...

I have the Holley Blue Pump triple isolated:

- Thin rubber strip between pump body and strap bracket (rubber supplied with pump)

- 1/4" thick rubber mounts with sleeve to isolate strap bracket from OE FP bracket. When the bolts are tight, there is no solid connection, only compressed rubber.

- another set of 1/4" thick rubber mounts between the OE FP bracket and spacer blocks (needed to clear the R200 Mustache bar) to the frame member.

With all this, it's still very loud. I can't hear it over the exhaust easily (well, there are no windows in the car yet), but it's pretty noisy.

I thnk the problem is that the mounts are still too rigid, and transfer the bothersome frequency of the pump too efficiently, Softer mounts are needed. I may change the entire mounting system if this becomes bothersome. But I think I'll have to mount the pump entirely differently if I use softer mounts - it won't work well to have it cantilevered like designed if the mounts are that soft.

A buddy changed from the Blue Pump to the Red (lower pressure, no regulator needed) and it's less noisy, but not by much.

I need to get some Dynomat type material in there to see if that will help. I think exhaust noise entering the car through the sheetmetal is more of an issue for me wink.gif.

------------------

Pete Paraska - 73 540Z - Marathon Z Project

pparaska@home.com

Pete's V8 Datsun 240Z Pages

[This message has been edited by pparaska (edited April 01, 2001).]

Thanks for the replies, guys. The Holley pumps I have been eyeballing because of reasonable cost, but I have heard they are noisy. If I go that route, I'll use Dynamat or something like it for sure, along with rubber isolation. These are all good ideas you have given me and I'll take advantage of other's experiences. Anyone try the Carter electric pumps?

I tried the Holley but it was really noisy. Switched to a standard Carter (CRT P4070 from Summit $54) and it's much better. Comes with rubber insulators for the mount. I mounted it on the outside of the spare tire well. I also put a good size piece of 1/8" rubber self-adhesive insulating material on the inside and outside of the well before I installed it. Then I also put a peice of dynamat on the bottom of the spare tire cover.

You can still hear it but only if you are looking for the sound. The good news is that the sound from the exhaust and carbs drowns it out !!!

Guest Anonymous

Yeah, the Carter hangs off of three rubber grommets to try and isolate it. Mine is definately noticable, but then again, I bolted it to the spare tire sheetmetal which I think tends to amplify it somewhat. I will probably be putting some dynamat down in the car when I get some things squared away. At least its not a 'clicking' sound like some I've heard, its more of a low groan. smile.gif With the Flowtech terminator muffler on the car at the moment, soon as its started you forget all about the fuel pump. As was mentioned above, with the sucking noise of the open air cleaner and the exhaust, you'd really have to listen for it.

Lone

------------------

http://datsun240v8z.virtualave.net/index.html

Lone, the Carter seems appealing except from what BLKMGK said about it. Let me know how well the Dynamat helped with the sound after you use it. I know the exhaust will help drown out the noise of the pump, but I want to eliminate as much noise as possible, period. My goal is to drive this thing up to Sonoma with my wife for wine tasting, shopping, and my favorite: Sears Point Drag Racing!!! It has to be livable in other words. Thanks again for the help everyone!

David

Guest Anonymous

Hmmm, you might want to go with a in tank pump, I'm sure it would be quieter. I'll let you know when I get mat in the car how it sounds, actually you can carry on a conversation in my car with it running but its not exactly luxury GT quiet, yet. (Not exactly a velvet hammer at this point, more like a well used ball peen..) smile.gif

Lone

Lone has a Carter deadhead pump I believe.

I called the Carter tech people and asked if their 15psi pump was any quieter than the Holley Blue. The guy was cool enough to be honest and said "not really". I had heard they were a little quieter.

But the Holley is fully rebuildable, not sure about the Carter.

HTH,

------------------

Pete Paraska - 73 540Z - Marathon Z Project

pparaska@home.com

Pete's V8 Datsun 240Z Pages

Guest Anonymous

I'm going to use an inline pump from an 88 Ford E250 van w/a 351W EFI engine. I got mine free, but a new one is about $80.

I've read that this pump will support up to about 350 hp, more than enough for my needs.

------------------

Jack Collins

72 240Z

66 Mustang Coupe

EFI 250 Aussie Crossflow/T5

Click Here to visit the Ford Six Cylinder Performance Forums!

Well FWIW: since I'm still an Inliner & have not begun that part of my transformation yet I'm not really sure what clearance there is at the pump as I've not really investigated it.

However, If you're looking for different thicknesses of rubber mat to experiment with check out your local Tractor Supply Stores; they'll usually have up to 1" thick rubber mats. I bought a huge one 3'x4'x1" & have cut pieces out of it w/a jigsaw for insulating other projects as needed.

Also if you dont need puzzle pieces & only need "eylet/donuts" type rubber pieces for mounting; check out your local small engine shops-they use different size/style eyelet rubber bushings for absorbing the vibrations of generators & pumps...ect.

Again...my .02c's worth.

Kevin,

(Yes,Still an Inliner)

Kevin, thanks for the tips--I just realized what I'll be doing with my all weather floormats that remain unused in the garage--I won't be throwing them away yet!

66coupe, don't pumps for EFI engines put out way too much pressure to be safely used for carbed cars? The last thing I want is a ruptured fuel line and high pressure spraying gasoline everywhere! Am I missing something here? What is the operating pressure of such a pump?

David

I know the JTR book says that they stock transfer pump for carbed Z's isn't strong enough for use w/o a mechanical fuel pump, but when I tested mine a few months back it seemed to flow pretty darned well. Is the problem that the stock unit doesn't develop adequate pressure, or what?

Like many of you, I'd be happy to find one that was quiet, cheap, and effective. Has anyone heard of a factory-built pump that is all three? I'd love to do the "junkyard shuffle" on this one, if possible.

Thanks,

Scott

Try this I have seen the GM TBI pumps used for carb aplications.. Now this is an in the tank pump so it would require some fabrication. You may have to run a return line and a regulator. Most of the TBI systems run 8 to 12psi this is a little much but if you are running a holley I have seen some real neet fabricated fuel logs that use a fixed orfice in the return line to regulate flow. Now this is cheep and easy all you have to do is vary the size of the orfice till you get about 6psi at the carb at idle. just food for thought....

BTW... DYIEFI.com has the almost all the factory pumps and there flow rattings listed. Everything from carb pumps to 110psi EFI pumps.....

------------------

Remember it is only a piece of metal.

Guest harth

I am running a blue holley pump and came up with a way to quit it down considerably. I took off the holley bracket wrapped the pump with some rubber, put it into the factory pump mounting bracket which is completely isolated with rubber, than took a 4" rubber pvc pipe connector, I put the fuel pump inside the 4" connector, mounted the pump to one side of the rubber connector, and bolted the other side to the body of the car in the stock location. The pump hangs down low enough to get air for cooling, I also stuffed a little insulation over the top of it. Hope this helps, Michael 280zz4