HybridZ

The search is on for new rims!

Im looking to get a set of SSR Mk2's for my 78 280z. I currently run coilovers and have stock fenders. I plan on shopping on Yahoo japan as they seem to have the most selection. I have searched for what offset to get but things are still unclear. Spacer this rolling that etc...not interested in masaging the car to make rims fit at all. I just need to know what size offset will clear without the use of spacers and rolling of fenders. Im sure I can fit a 7" wide rim zero offest under the stock fenders but how about 8" wide. Will the offset be different with wider wheels? Will it require rolling and other mods? Thanks very much for your time. 

General consensus has generally been that 8" et0 fit on some cars without lip shaving/rolling, but scrape on others. Either way it's tight.

SSR does something like a 7.5" et-6 do they not? I imagine that would be a very safe bet.

General consensus has generally been that 8" et0 fit on some cars without lip shaving/rolling, but scrape on others. Either way it's tight.

SSR does something like a 7.5" et-6 do they not? I imagine that would be a very safe bet.

Offset does change with the width of the wheel. For reference this is a 15x7 0 wheel with a 205/50/15. This was with tokico shocks and springs

P5111247.jpg

Here are the same wheels with a 195/60 on them. I have sectioned strut coilvoers on in this pic. 

WP_20150426_011_zpsuj41jppb.jpg

My friend actually just got a set of 16x8 0 XXR's and they didn't fit with a 225 on them (rubbed his fenders, and he didn't want to roll them) which I though was the general consensus. He had to go down to a 205 width tire. 

The general rule of thumb is that you need 4.5" of backspace, which on an 8" wide wheel is 0 offset. 

Edited by BluDestiny

• 4 weeks later...

Much depends on ride-height.  In going through the sort of exercise that prompted this thread, I placed my car on wooden blocks underneath each tire, keeping normal weight on the tires, and elevation of each corner even, but leaving space to crawl underneath the car to take pictures.  http://forums.hybridz.org/gallery/image/33780-rear-right-tire/ shows space between the rear strut-tower's spring-perch, and the tire lip.  This is with 14"x7" "Western Cyclone" wheels, and 225-60/14 tires.  The backspacing of these wheels is ~ 3 3/4" (sorry if I'm off by a fraction - memory is spotty).  There was about 1 1/2" of gap... perhaps 1 1/4".

The upshot is that 1" of backspacing can be accommodated at this ride height, with plenty of space remaining.  This concerns the inboard side.  On the outboard side (see http://forums.hybridz.org/gallery/image/33781-rear-right-tire-outboard/), if we go with an 8" wheel and something like a 245-series tire, quite likely the tire will protrude beyond the fender-lip.  However, at this ride height, I don't see that as being a problem.  At other ride heights, or other camber settings, there may be a problem.  This is why these things are so situational and so difficult to definitively recommend.

Based on available tire choices, I find myself leaning - as many others have already decided - towards 17" diameter wheels.  There are excellent tire-options for 17"x8" rims.

Edited by Michael

PS. an 8" wheel with 0 offset would have a 4" back space. 0  offset means the hub surface is in the center of the wheel.

A wheel is actually spec'd at 8" from bead seat to bead seat which is the inner part of the rim. The outer width would probably be at least .25-5" further away.

As another note, if you have rear sectioned struts with coilovers, you can often gain a little more backspacing. One way to figure out how much room you have is to just measure you current setup (hopefully knowing your stock wheel width and offset) and extrapolate from there how much wider you can go.

Without flares, I found the 8" width wheels to look a little "hella flush" or "pressed out". More of a modern or tuner type look. I opted for 16x7 0 offset with a nice squared off tire (205 bridgestone RE-11a which are actually nearly as wide as some 225's).

I agree that if you can find it, a 7.5" with a 0 or 5-7mm offset would be ideal.

Good luck!

Pics at the bottom of this post:

http://forums.hybridz.org/topic/116416-my-1974-260z-rb-the-neverending-project/?p=1144125

Ride height is stock, soon to be lowered, but you get the idea. Konig Rewinds. Cheap...readily available...period correct look (watanabe clone).

Edited by mtnickel

Ride height is stock, soon to be lowered, but you get the idea. Konig Rewinds. Cheap...readily available...period correct look (watanabe clone).

Mtnickel, what is your car's ride height, as measured for example from the center of the door key-hole, to the floor?  I'm asking because I've cut off 1.5 coils from the (stock) springs, and yet, my car appears to be about 1" higher.