HybridZ

Head gasket help

Austing

Ok I've been to oreillys 3 times because they keep giving me the wrong gasket and they are clueless help when you tell them the block and head. So I'm done with oreillys the only three gaskets they have for l28s and none of them fit my f54 block.. Excessive holes or holes don't even line up with holes on the block. It's a 83 280zx with a f54 block and a p90 head. What aftermarket gasket do you guys recommend. I'm not stroking it but I might turbo it in future.

It's the holes in the head that matter.  The coolant flows from the block to the head and if there's no hole in the head the coolant has nowhere to go anyway.  No need to match a hole in the block if there's no hole in the head to receive it.  Once it gets in to the head it flows out through the thermostat.

But with either head gasket holes are blocked or not blocked on either the head or the block so. On putting both gaskets on head holes are blocked on head.

You edited and still came up with this?  Unintelligible.

I was just pointing out that your comment about the HG not fitting your F54 block was irrelevant.  But you're right, an F54 and a P90 are a stock 1983 configuration.  You should have posted the brand and part numbers of the three HG's you got.  There might be a clue there.  Besides that, they're all "aftermarket" if you get them from a parts store.  The parts store guys only work from a database of car brand and year.  You should have told OReilly 1983 280ZX Turbo

Don't overlook that the Nissan engineers may have designed the head gasket to control flow through the head and block.  Would't be surprising to find that they blocked a passage, after the head and block were designed and in production.  You'd have tom compare holes and their sizes to a Nissan factory gasket to know for sure.  You're assuming that all of the holes need to be open.

There's a thread or two on this forum somewhere with pictures of many different head gaskets.  The hole controversy pops up every now and then.  You might see if you can find it and and the pictures.

No the gasket that was on it was blown to bits by the previous owner. Chunks were missing like 3 inches of gasket was just missing all around various holes and in the front by the chain. I laid all the busted pieces out but sections where the holes were are gone just missing gasket material.

So I used the search and the Google with key words of holes blocked by gasket and I've read the three pages of threads here and while they talk about blocked holes they don't say what happens. One thread had two blocked holes on bottom using performance gasket. Other with different holes blocked or not in other holes. But none with that one blocked hole on mine in that specific spot. Although one thread with pictures on the exact block and head as mine no one answered what happened with blocked holes.. So you think that I should just use the gasket with the one blocked hole. Worse comes to worst I just blow the gasket off right?

Edited by Austing

Yes, for some reason the coolant was blocked through all those holes on the gasket for the F54 block. Seems to concentrate coolant entry to the head by the rear two cylinders.

I researched the hell out of this when I ordered mine.