HybridZ

Electric power steering. $100 > $1500

If you pull the Saturn wiring all the way out, it comes with a fuse inline, I think 80 amp. I will try to reuse that wiring if possible. I am going to remote the control box. http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/mod-custom-forum/787114-best-200-mod-ever-eps-70.html 

This is where I got a lot of info from. One guy was talking about running the power feed through a relay in case something ever were to malfunction, he could switch it off.

• 2 weeks later...

The Woodward u joint fits the datsun rack, and has a DD on the other side of the joint. That means you can use the lower Saturn shaft as is. You will just have to separate it to pass through a bearing with a 1 1/8 ID at the firewall. A 3/4 DD steering g rod fits in both the Woodward u joint and Saturn u joint. We need to try to find a bearing with set screws to attach to a pipe welded to a plate on the firewall for the sa turn steering shaft to pass through. Anyone know where I can get a bearing that's 2 1/8 OD, 1 1/8 ID WITH set screws to be able to hold it in place?

post-37191-0-72841500-1477760195_thumb.jpg

post-37191-0-83448700-1477760236_thumb.jpg

post-37191-0-98436400-1477760277_thumb.jpg

post-37191-0-20136300-1477760303_thumb.jpg

Edited by socorob

• 4 weeks later...

The Woodward u joint fits the datsun rack, and has a DD on the other side of the joint. That means you can use the lower Saturn shaft as it. You will just have to separate it to pass through a bearing with a 1 1/8 ID at the firewall. A 3/4 DD steering g rod fits in both the Woodward u joint and Saturn u joint. We need to try to find a bearing with set screws to attach to a pipe welded to a plate on the firewall for the sa turn steering shaft to pass through. Anyone know where I can get a bearing that's 2 1/8 OD, 1 1/8 ID WITH set screws to be able to hold it in place?

Not sure if you're still looking for a bearing or not, but I think this could work for you:

https://www.thebigbearingstore.com/1-1-8-four-bolt-flange-bearing-ucf206-18/

That one doesn't pivot. I just got the bruno controllers in the mail on Saturday. I have been too busy to work on this lately, but hopefully will be able to make some progress in the next week or so. There's a bearing in the bottom of the Z column that the Saturn shaft almost fits through. I may attempt to bore it out, probably needs to open up 1/16. Then I could use the stock bottom plate, as long as it lets it slide enough to collapse still.

• 10 months later...
  • 8 months later...

I installed the Z Power Steering kit in my '72 240Z last year.  Had some space limitations, but managed to overcome them with enough patience, trial-and-error, custom made brackets, etc.  Steering effort below 40 MPH is excellent - very easy to maneuver for parking, etc.  My issue concerns higher-speed handling and "feel".  No matter what level of "boost" is dialed into the system, my car feels very "light" in the front end, and lots of minute back and forth corrections are needed to keep the car on track.  It almost feels as though there is some looseness, or rotational "play" in the steering column now, making precise corrections very difficult.  There is one "sleeve connection" between a solid and hollow D-shaft that is not secured by any set screws, and I notice some rotational "play" originates there. 

When steered into a turn, the wheel just maintains the turned position, with no self-centering effect coming out of the turn.  While the kit reduces steering effort dramatically, it also seems to impart some friction, or vague resistance, to the steering effort, that is difficult to describe.  I'm trying to figure out if this is due to my personal installation, or if it is simply an inherent characteristic of the electric motor of the kit itself.  Noteworthy is the fact that the motor unit itself wants to turn strongly in the opposite direction to the steering wheel, making it important to somehow firmly bracket the motor housing under the dash.  The kit manufacturers have tried to help resolve these issues, but we are not there yet.  For me, the "jury is still out" on this system, as I feel I may have traded some steering feel and precision for the reduced effort I wanted.  Still hoping to find a solution, because the lowered steering effort at slow speed literally transforms the car.  I'd really like to hear from others who have installed this particular system on their early Z's.

• 9 months later...

I

Hi all

I bit the bullet and bought the Equinox unit. In process of shoe horning the unit in my 73" 240z.

Bruno as an Automatic controller on ebay that eliminates the resistor(knob) and changes the assist by the force you apply to the steering wheel

Has anyone tried the automatic unit? And what are your thoughts about it. I need to order one or the other soon.

dave

Not recommended for anything more than casual driving. By relying on the force input there is a delay before it assists, so slightly difficult to suddenly easy, hard to do precision maneuvers, but perfectly adequate for say parking or moving down a freeway. I guess it depends on your usage. I only really wanted it for low speed, so I thought that might be useful, but I believe he recommended for any automotive events you don't use it.

seattlejester seems to be describing some of the effect I noticed with the power steering unit I tried.  It's as if there is a momentary pause after steering input, followed by the "boost" to lighten the overall steering effort.  It's just a tiny fraction of a second, but it is perceptible (and somewhat annoying) primarily when trying to make minute corrections to the car's steering, as when going down the highway.  It is far less noticeable when making forceful, definitive turns right and left, e.g. when making a 90-degree turn at an intersection, or when carving through some switchbacks on a secondary road (a good thing!).  The motor unit seems to impart some type of "drag" on the steering, at the same time it lessens the effort to turn the wheel.  Sound confusing?  It is. 

But, I also felt there was some inherent rotational looseness in the replacement steering column, too, as I mentioned in my earlier post.  If the manufacturer (or customer) could successfully eliminate all signs of that looseness, that might eliminate some of the on-center "play" that I was finding frustrating.  Ultimately, I wound up removing the system from my 240Z, and returning to stock.  I now prefer the "feel" of the steering at anything over 30 MPH, but I really miss the ease of steering at low speeds that the power steering kit provided.  The folks at ZPowersteering were absolutely fabulous to deal with, all the way through, and I wish them well.  I hope they are able to tweak their system somehow to compensate for the deficiencies I found in my particular installation.  Overall, I gather the vast majority of their customers are very happy with their systems, so it may have just been something related to my car, its suspension, alignment, tire/wheel selection, etc., and nothing at all to do with their components.

You are right, I imagine that would come in on freeway driving in a straight line, minute corrections could mean you are hunting for a straight line, I was thinking more long sweeping turns and such. That is one of the downfalls of the E-steering setup. It usually needs to sense a force to begin applying the force which can come across as play or delay. The beauty of the bruno setup is that you can turn it off for most of the time other than when you are at low speeds where the assist would be appreciated. The other downfall while we are at it would be a general numbness that can be attributed from too much assist, which also could be toned down with a knob versus a feedback.

I was really really really into having power steering, even built my own setup following another member's build. I have about half an hour more work to install it, but I really can't seem to be bothered. I went auto crossing which should have been a workout in theory, but it never even occurred to me that I was missing out on the assist. I can definitely feel for people running more than my measly 225 width tires, or if they have tight parking spots to navigate, but short of perpendicular spots, parallel parking, or meaty tires I haven't found a necessity to finish. Edit: also people with shoulder or joint issues, I'm sure could benefit as well.

Edited by seattlejester

Bummer reading these posts. I have my steering column and shaft cut up in pieces.

We had a 2003 BMW Z4 that had the "steering unit issue". BMW fixed it I read in 2005 or 2006. Only when it was hot outside 85-90 degrees. Driving along basically in a straight line and try to make the normal small correction if felt like the steering had a detent ball and you needed to overcome the force. I hope that makes sense. Is this similar to what you are experiencing?

When the outside temp is lower the steering worked perfectly. It was very annoying. Ruined the driving experience.

Dave

11 hours ago, davek said:

Bummer reading these posts. I have my steering column and shaft cut up in pieces.

We had a 2003 BMW Z4 that had the "steering unit issue". BMW fixed it I read in 2005 or 2006. Only when it was hot outside 85-90 degrees. Driving along basically in a straight line and try to make the normal small correction if felt like the steering had a detent ball and you needed to overcome the force. I hope that makes sense. Is this similar to what you are experiencing?

When the outside temp is lower the steering worked perfectly. It was very annoying. Ruined the driving experience.

Dave

I can only speak for myself but I don't believe they are the same problems,  in the last few posts we are talking about a brief time lag before the steering assist kicks in, your Z4 steering problem sounds like it would drive you crazy.

Sounds to me as though we are all talking about a similar phenomenon.  The power steering unit is there to reduce the amount of force needed to turn the wheels, but it must first detect some input from the driver before that reduction in force kicks in.  That is the momentary "lag" that is being mentioned, I think.  I found this not to be a problem when making larger steering corrections, as in negotiating a 90-degree purposeful turn at an intersection, of even a definitive turn on a back country road, or switchback.  In those cases, the "lag" was almost imperceptible, and the reduction in steering effort, particularly at lower speeds, was welcomed.  But, in the case of driving essentially in a straight line, when very minute corrections in steering are needed to keep the car between the lines, the correction seemed to always lag behind, and this encouraged me to over-correct my steering input, and actually overshoot the mark.  As a repetitive behavior, this became quite frustrating and distracting.

My daily driver right now is a 2017 Subaru BRZ, which, as many in the motoring world have noted, handles beautifully in almost all situations.  Its steering is very much power-assisted, too, but somehow this system does not impart any such annoying distractions, and minute over-corrections, while driving, at any speed, and on any road.  There must be something inherently different in the design of this system to achieve this result, and precision.  My assumption right now is that these various attempts at "add-on" power steering employ a different dynamic principle.

I know many systems reduce assist the faster you go. That could certainly have an impact on highway driving. The system basically should not assist much at higher speeds. 

I got the Yaris non-abs computer as this one uses a direct speed input and not can bus. Had hoped to play with tricking the speed ( over read my stock speed to reduce assistance faster, or maybe some variable curve). But all this driveability and feel complaints have got me wondering whether it’s worth the effort. Perhaps the heavy parking lot steering is just the cost of admission for an old car. 

30 minutes ago, socorob said:

I have the Bruno knob controller and Saturn steering box. When you 1st start the car, it takes a second or 2 to come on, but after that, I have never noticed anything weird feeling about it. I have it set really low.

This is good news to hear as I have the same at up, but won't be able to install for awhile.

Sounds to me like it's possible the force-sensing units take a bit to react, but the ones working off a speed sensor signal don't. 

Anyone with a SilverMine setup? They use a speed signal, so that would help figure out if my guess is correct.